Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Saturday, April 20 2024 @ 08:17 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Can't Create or Edit Static Pages

winnerdk

Forum User
Something is wrong with the Static Pages on my website. Existing Static Pages display fine. However when I try to create a new one, the system seems to go through the process just fine but when I hit "Save" the new Static Page that's supposed to have been created is nowhere to be found. There are no error messages or anything like that. It just doesn't seem to take. The same exact thing happens when I try to edit an existing Static Page. The system lets me go through the process, but when I hit "Save" the changes I made are not there. The original static page is displayed as it was, before the changes.

Any ideas? Suggestions on what might be wrong or how I can start to get this fixed?

Don
www.panama-guide.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Is this only happening with Static Pages? Or are other things (say, stories, blocks, ...) show the same effect?

bye, Dirk

winnerdk

Forum User
No, so far the only other function that seems to be having the same "issues" that I've found so far is Polls. Same exact symptoms, I can run through the dialogs, the screens come up, it looks like it's working, but after I hit Save there's nothing...

The articles seem to be working normally.

Don
www.panama-guide.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Since when is this happening? Did you upgrade recently?

bye, Dirk

winnerdk

Forum User
Exactly. It's been happening since I upgraded to 1.6.1

I don't think I ever got a complete and correctly functioning install, after the last upgrade. I actually did that upgrade several months ago, and fought through the "issues" until most of the site seemed to be working properly. After that, I declared it "good enough" and pressed on.

Recently however I had a need to modify some static pages, as well as to post a poll, neither of which is working.

Is there any chance that if I upgrade again to 1.7.0 that my problems might get fixed? Or, will it just make them worse.

And for the record, there are all kinds of other minor "issues" with my database, which was originally created back in 2004 and which has been upgraded several times.

I downloaded the 1.7.0 software, hoping that it might fix some of the problems, but then held off on doing the upgrade, afraid that I might smoke the site altogether...

Don]
www.panama-guide.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I was suspecting an incomplete update of the files for the Static Pages plugin.

Try this and see if it makes a difference:
- disable the Static Page plugin (temporarily)
- remove (or rename) the 3 staticpages directories (in plugins, public_html, and public_thml/admin/plugins)
- upload fresh copies of those directories from a 1.6.1 tarball
- re-enable the plugin

No database changes involved here - I just want to make sure you have proper copies of the plugin's code files.

bye, Dirk

winnerdk

Forum User
OK, let me try that, and I'll let you know what happens...

Don

winnerdk

Forum User
OK, I did exactly that, with no changes. It's acting exactly the same.

When I was on the plugin page to disable and then (re)enable the Static Pages plugin, I took this screen snap to give you an idea of the problems I'm having with data on most plugins;

http://www.panama-guide.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=1&s=20100717183222955

I really think this is still the same problem that I had several months ago, with the existing database never getting completely or correctly updated. Now, when I click on the "Update" icon on this page, nothing happens.

In any case, installing new and fresh copies of the Static Pages files had no affect.

Don
www.panama-guide.com

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
There was a bug in 1.6.1 I belive where the update icon for plugins did not work on this admin page. You need to edit the plugin and then click the update button on the edit form to update the plugins database tables.
One of the Geeklog Core Developers.

winnerdk

Forum User
Excellent! Thanks. That fixed the problems. Can you believe I've been putting up with this stupid problem for months?

Just an observation - you guys have a communication problem. The only time people come to this Forum is when something doesn't work. Then, we have to go through this dialog or search through archives to try to figure out what's wrong, and what I have to do do fix it.

There are probably hundreds if not thousands of people out there who have the same problem I did, but they will never become aware of this painfully simple fix unless they do what I did - finally get fed up and frustrated enough to mount a search for a solution.

I subscribe to this website and have signed up as a user. You guys could send me via email an update, alert, or information on fixes like this one. If this had hit my inbox months ago when you first became aware of the "bug" then I would have applied the simple and easy "fix" a long time ago.

If I come here to search for the problem, it's a pull. If you guys know about a problem and you let me know (before I know I have a problem) then that's a push. I'm saying I would have appreciated it if you guys had pushed this one out to me at some point.

Like I said, I hope you will see this as a helpful suggestion and an observation from a dedicated fan who's been wrestling with Geeklog since 2004.

Don
www.panama-guide.com

winnerdk

Forum User
Actually, this problem dates back to 17 December 2009 when I first upgraded to 1.6.1

I had the same problem, starting with the date of the upgrade, and ran through one of these discussions on the Forum to try to find out what was wrong;

http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=89078&mode=&show=5&page=7

As you can see, after several attempts to get it fixed, I never got a solution and I ended up just "going away" with the same problem.

Now, seven months later when I came back with the same problem I find out there was a "bug." I imagine that at some point you guys figured out that the bug existed, fixed it, but I never heard about it.

I know it would be impossible or impractical to track every thread in the Forum and push out answers to individuals, however it makes perfect sense and it seems like it would be an easy fix to periodically send out information in an email format on things like bugs that have been discovered. Well, I guess the bug was never fixed in 1.6.1 but I assume it's been fixed in 1.7.0 - is that correct?

And by the way, this little "fix" corrected all of the data upgrade errors with all plugins - static pages, polls, calendar, etc. The new software was running on top of the old data that was never updated when I installed 1.6.1 so thanks.

It now feels "safe" to upgrade to 1.7.0 - any "bugs" there?

Don
www.panama-guide.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Hmm. I'm not sure which bug Tom is referring to, actually. There is this issue. It's still open, as you can see. I've been unable to reproduce it (I have just used that icon on quite a few websites to update to the latest version of Bad Behavior). And until now, I wasn't aware of anyone else with the same problem ...

bye, Dirk

winnerdk

Forum User
Simple. The "Update" Icon on the Plugin page doesn't work. As soon as I clicked on the edit button and used the "Update" button there, it worked (for all plugins, not just Static Pages." That's the "bug".

And, we were discussing this exactly problem back in December 2009, which was never resolved.

In addition, I'm sure you didn't know about the "bug" because as soon as Tom made this recommendation, I implemented his suggestion, it worked, and all of the plugins started working again, after having been inoperable for more than seven months.

Don
www.panama-guide.com

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: Laugh

There was a bug in 1.6.1 I belive where the update icon for plugins did not work on this admin page. You need to edit the plugin and then click the update button on the edit form to update the plugins database tables.

I guess my last post should have read There IS a bug in ...

When I discovered this issue I didn't investigate further at the time because there was a work around and no one else had complained about the problem so I figured it was maybe something with my setup. I was also working on 1.7 by this point and everything was working fine so I figure someone else had squashed the bug. I have a feeling now this is not the case since my dev server is different from my prouction server, maybe the bug is dependant on the how the web server is setup. I will have to test this when I get back. What is your setup winnerdk?

I also don't remember reading your old post or I would have mentioned something.

winnerdk

Forum User
When you ask "what is your setup" what do you mean? I'm running GL 1.6.1 on a dedicated server. What else do you need to know?

Don

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
Are you using Windows or Linux and what version, plus what web server software are you using? Also you might as well give me your PHP version.

winnerdk

Forum User
OK, will do, tomorrow when I get back into the office...

Don

winnerdk

Forum User
OK, here it is...

Operating system: Linux
Kernel version 2.6.9-89.0.9.ELsmp
cPanel Version: 11.25.0-RELEASE
Architecture: i686
MySQL version: 4.1.22-standard
cPanel Build: 46156
Apache version: 1.3.41
PHP version: 5.2.8
cPanel Pro: 1.0 (RC1)

Don
www.panama-guide.com

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:17 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content