Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 12:51 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

stupid question about /public_html/

guganbl

Forum User
Chatty
dizzy
I`m a little bit shame to ask this but i cant figure it out.
I have few gl sites and i have noticed that on all of them i have mysite.com/public_html/ in url.
When i run security check that is only thing that i have as warning.
"public_html" should never be part of your site's URL .
All installations were automatic by my hosting provider , and i don`t know how to resolve this.

I have readed install article , and all forums and faq and still don`t know what to do.

if it helps to understand problem better i have a shared hosting, one hosting with few domain names , when i submited gl for installation by my hosting provider it has asked me on what hosting i wont it to be installed and offered me all domain names that i have (since it is shared hosting) and i said install it to mysite.com . so after istallation was completed i had a folder named mysite in my root of hosting . under that folder is the gl installation and of course public_html subfolder.
so when i type www.mysite.com i opens geeklog like it should but in address bar of browser is this mysite.com/public_html/.........

Can anyone help me with this please ?
Kind regards
Sasa
Big Grin

kobab

Forum User
Regular Poster
Hi.

1. Backup all the files and database.
2. delete all the files by FTP
3. delete database data
4. FTP backuped files to correct path
5. yoursite.com/admin/install/
6. Choose 'migrate'
7. Follow instruction by Geeklog installer to copy database

If I do not misunderstand your status.........
Hope anyone help him more......

guganbl

Forum User
Chatty
huh, i was affraid that someone will tell me something like that.......
one installation is arround 1 Gb size....... i don`t want to move it arround with ftp , i`l just leave it that way Frown

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
So to call up your site, you type something like example.com into your browser but you end up at example.com/public_html? If so, then some sort of redirect is happening on the server side.

If your hosting service lets you change the document root (aka web root) for your site, you could make it point directly to the public_html directory, get rid of that redirect, and run the installer in Migrate mode (like kobab said) to fix the settings within Geeklog.

Whether or not that is possible depends on what your hosting service lets you configure. Try asking them if that's possible (but from your other thread I wouldn't be too optimistic ...).

If you can't move things, see that you can password protect the directories that are outside of public_html so that it's not possible to call up, for example, example.com/logs/error.log

bye, Dirk

guganbl

Forum User
Chatty
I found some redirect options in my hosting control panel , so i will try them out and let you know did they work. For example i have found domain redirect optin , so it looks like i can say for domain mydomain.com redirect it to mydomain.com/public_html/
I will try it out when i get the chance , but thank you for explaining how things works, now i at least understand where is the problem. I can`t believe that stupid hosting automated install make`s the installation in wrong way.
:shakehands:

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:51 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content