Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 25 2024 @ 06:58 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

site_slogan and gl_conf_values

Habitual

Forum User
Chatty
Hello:

I, like a retard put upside down text in my site_slogan field in Admin.
It did not display.

I found gl_conf_values:site_slogan and nuked the value from the field.
s:36:"s??ns ?u??ou? ?ou ?sn???q";

I have no site slogan and the db.table.field shows:

"Because not knowing sucks";

I have tried updating the field from phpMyAdmin and no go.
I've tried
s:36:"Because not knowing sucks";
with no luck.

Updating Slogan in Configuration touches the database field, but doesn't actually show
up in the browser.

Again, another bad, BAD Idea, gone horribly wrong.
Kinda like Velcro Shoelaces.

Don't try this at home people, I am a Professional.

anonymous

Anonymous
Quote by: Habitual

Hello:

s:36:"Because not knowing sucks";

More knowledgeable people may correct me, but I think the number following the "s:" is the number of characters in the string. Since "Because not knowing sucks" has 25 characters it would be s:25:"Because not knowing sucks";

Habitual

Forum User
Chatty
Hello:

You're a genius.

Thank you!

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Hmm, interesting. I just had a somewhat similar effect when upgrading a site from Geeklog 1.4.1 to 1.7.0.

The original site slogan contained a German umlaut. I entered it in the install script during the upgrade and it came up empty on the upgraded site. Like above, I wasn't able to change it in the Configuration. I reset it in phpMyAdmin (to s:0:""; i.e. an empty string) and was then able to enter the slogan again. And it's showing up just fine now (with the umlaut).

Not sure what's happening there. I did notice, though, that the slogan that didn't show up was stored as s:27:... while it's now s:28:... - but I'm sure I entered the exact same text (I did a copy and paste, actually). Weird.

bye, Dirk

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: Dirk

I did notice, though, that the slogan that didn't show up was stored as s:27:... while it's now s:28:... - but I'm sure I entered the exact same text (I did a copy and paste, actually).

Okay, figured this one out: The site was using UTF-8, but the install script is only using ISO-8859-1. The German umlaut translates to 1 byte in ISO-8859-1 but two bytes in UTF-8.

So I entered an ISO umlaut in the install script and Geeklog then tried to read it as UTF-8. Unfortunately, that ISO umlaut is an invalid UTF-8 sequence and therefore it didn't show up.

@Habitual: Where did you enter that slogan that didn't show up? In the Configuration panel or during the install?

bye, Dirk

Habitual

Forum User
Chatty
Dirk:

Admin Area | Configuration: Slogan
is where I inserted the upside-down text.

Christian

Anonymous
sooooooo if im on a mac (im guessing utf-8)...
and i did a fresh install via host installer...
and within the admin > config > site name i copy-pasted a REGISTERED (&regWink sign...

how do you suggest i repair the problem of not being able to enter ANYTHING as a site name?

(or could you direct me to a hard file where i could simly replace the 'site name' code with a site name )

thanks,
-Christian

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Yeah, we have a bug there somewhere in reading the Configuration data when something like this happens.

Try what I did above, i.e. use phpMyAdmin or similar to find the site_slogan entry in the gl_conf_values table and replace the content with

s:0:"";

After that, you should be able to enter a new slogan from the Configuration panel.

bye, Dirk

Christian

Anonymous
Quote by: Dirk

Yeah, we have a bug there somewhere in reading the Configuration data when something like this happens.

Try what I did above, i.e. use phpMyAdmin or similar to find the site_slogan entry in the gl_conf_values table and replace the content with

After that, you should be able to enter a new slogan from the Configuration panel.

bye, Dirk

just so im sure, im to use the 7 char's of

correct?

thanks dirk - much appreciated (ill let you know)

Christian

Anonymous
problem solved - exactly as you said.

sorry for even questioning you (im NOT too handy with code, esp db related code - so i was extremely sceptical... as soon as i opened phpmyadmin and located the table i saw how simple my fix was)

thanks again!!
-Christian

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
np, glad to hear you got it working Smile

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:58 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content