Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 08:52 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Webhost provider telling me NOT to use GeekLog

TennSeven

Forum User
Junior
I just wiped my install of GeekLog 1.5 and performed a clean install of 1.6.1. The problem is that it started telling me that memory was exhausted, something 1.5 did when it first installed, but I had gotten it fixed. I am using the default theme and have not put up any posts nor installed any plugins as of yet.

I emailed my provider to ask it to up my PHP memory and it did so, but the tech support guy said that I should use something else, as "256MB of memory is an absurd amount of memory for a blog's single php thread to consume".

Is there any way I can cut down on the memory consumption? Am I missing something?

1000ideen

Forum User
There must be another error. I know that my webspace has less than 48MB or memory and GL installed fine. Did you wipe off all files? Did you confuse new and old files?

TennSeven

Forum User
Junior
I definitely wiped all the old files (straight-up deleted everything in public_html and the entire geeklog directory in the root, and erased the DB from mysql).

I messed around with it a bit and it doesn't seem to be giving me the error using the old theme I created for 1.5 (or at least, it doesn't err as much), but when I switch to the professional theme it happens a lot more often. Here's the error message:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 392280544 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

1000ideen

Forum User
You may try search:
http://www.geeklog.net/search.php?query=Allowed+memory+size+of&keyType=phrase&type=all&mode=search&results=30&order=date&direction=desc

Is the gallery installed?

TennSeven

Forum User
Junior
I don't believe that gallery is installed. The only plugins listed as enabled are: Links; Spam-X; Static Pages; XMLSitemap. Disabled are: Polls; Calendar.

I have been searching the forums for information, but not finding much yet. Most of the time people are getting this error when it is requesting way less memory than this. One guy (here: http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=84204&query=Allowed+memory+size+of) had something on this magnitude and the admin didn't know what was going on. His web provider said it might have something to do with a call to a 64 bit function in PHP which, while intriguing, doesn't really give me much to go on. That coupled with the fact that it's "unknown at line 0" makes me think that it is something in the very initial stages of the memory allocation, maybe before geeklog starts to serve up any content? I will continue to look, as I would much rather use geeklog than move to wordpress.

Any other ideas? I appreciate your input.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I agree that it's an absurd amount of memory. A fresh install shouldn't do that. Not sure why it would do that or why the theme would make a difference, though.

The "line 0" doesn't really have any relevance I think, especially since it's in "Unknown". I guess PHP didn't even get enough memory for a proper error message.

bye, Dirk

TennSeven

Forum User
Junior
Is there something I can do to track memory being used by different threads? I can up my PHP memory but they don't want me to. Is there something else that can be done to track down the issue?

::Ben

Forum User
Hello,

To know the server memory usage you could ad this code in a php static page.

Text Formatted Code
echo 'Peak Usage : ' . number_format(memory_get_peak_usage(), 0, '.', ',') . " octets<br/>";
echo 'Usage : ' . number_format(memory_get_usage(), 0, '.', ',') . " octets<br/>";

Don't know if it could help you to track something.

I try a google search on Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456
you are not alone with this (server?) issue.

::Ben
I'm available to customise your themes or plugins for your Geeklog CMS

TennSeven

Forum User
Junior
Thanks for the advice Ben, I dropped those lines in my index.php file, but it is saying that peak usage and usage are only in the realm of 8MB (7,817,728 octets)! Is this only telling me what is being used by index.php, or the total of what is being used of PHP's allocatable memory? If the latter then there certainly is something strange going on.

The google search does not yield much, since anyone who has the same memory limit in PHP will get that same piece of the message if they go over the limit. It doesn't explain why my installation of geeklog in particular is using up so much memory.

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
If it is a straight install of Geeklog you shouldn't be having this problem. This sounds more like a server issue. Can you find out what OS, web server and php version you are using?
One of the Geeklog Core Developers.

ironmax

Anonymous
If you cannot get this resolved, I would suggest that you ask your host provider to move your site over to a different machine. I myself have 6 sites on one box and do not consume the amount of memory the server that your currently on. I would tend to think that the memory chips on that server are going faulty and its just a matter of time before it shuts down the box completely with a lockup.

Michael

TennSeven

Forum User
Junior
Laugh - Here are the versions of everything:

CentOS (apparently a Linux distribution for enterprise servers; I had not heard of it before now)
Apache version 2.2.11 (Unix)
PHP version 5.2.9
MySQL version 5.0.81-community-log
Kernel version 2.6.18-164.el5

Michael - That's a good idea. I'm going to send them an email tonight to ask if they'll switch me to another server.

If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know.

TennSeven

Forum User
Junior
Ok, I had my web provider move my installation to a different server, but was still having the same problem. I wiped everything again, and then installed GeekLog 1.4.1 from Fantastico on the webhost. This fixed the issue in that I am no longer getting the error messages, but now of course I am on a much older version. I now want to *upgrade* to 1.6.1, but I am having trouble deciphering the instructions. Specifically, this one:

Place the contents of geeklog-1.6.1/ into the same directory your old installation was located. For instance, if your old Geeklog was in /usr/home/www/geeklog/, then your new installation should also be in /usr/home/www/geeklog/.

What exactly does this mean? Do I take everything from the geeklog-1.6.1 directory and put it into the public_html directory? If that is the case then the instruction telling you to go to "http://[your_geeklog_site]/admin/install/index.php" would be wrong, because it it would actually be "http://[your_geeklog_site]/public_html/admin/install/index.php" (I can see by searching the forum some people have done exactly this, and been confused by the results).

Does it mean to put everything from geeklog-1.6.1 into the root directory under my public_html directory? That would put the contents of /geeklog-1.6.1/public_html into my /public_html directory, but the instruction doesn't really say that, and I don't want all of the contents of geeklog-1.6.1 cluttering up my root (I would rather, if possible, have the contents in /geeklog-1.6.1, which doesn't currently exist).

Or, does it mean that I am supposed to put the contents of geeklog-1.6.1 in my root directory and the contents of /geeklog-1.6.1/public_html into my public_html directory? If this is the correct way, the instructions do not seem to indicate it, and I don't understand why this would be any different than a new installation, except that I would be replacing a couple of the old configuration files with new ones.

I feel like I am misunderstanding something obvious, but the instructions do not really make sense to me. Would someone explain in greater detail exactly what I am supposed to copy where? My website sits in /public_html (so if you go to http://[mydomain.com] you get whatever is in /public_html/index.php); the Fantastico application didn't create a geeklog directory in my root (e.g., there is no /geeklog-1.4.1 directory), and I think the directories that would have been there (system, logs, plugins, etc.) are all in my /public_html directory.

Thanks again for all your help!

ironmax

Anonymous
Quote by: TennSeven

Ok, I had my web provider move my installation to a different server, but was still having the same problem. I wiped everything again, and then installed GeekLog 1.4.1 from Fantastico on the webhost. This fixed the issue in that I am no longer getting the error messages, but now of course I am on a much older version. I now want to *upgrade* to 1.6.1, but I am having trouble deciphering the instructions. Specifically, this one:

Place the contents of geeklog-1.6.1/ into the same directory your old installation was located. For instance, if your old Geeklog was in /usr/home/www/geeklog/, then your new installation should also be in /usr/home/www/geeklog/.

Thanks again for all your help!

Basically, to hopefully simplify it for you. Take a look at your current directory structure on your site thru fantastico and then upload the new files to where they are currently. You may have to look around in a few directories to get the layout of what they did. Keep in mind that all the files in a given directory should remain in that directory name structure. The directory of /usr/home/www/geeklog/ is ONLY an example. Your directory structure will be different. To make it more clear, the
Text Formatted Code

/geeklog
   /backups
   /data
   /language
   /logs
   /plugins
   /sql
   /system

Should be listed in the root of your site. The /public_html folder contents should be in your WWW directory. Please verify this before uploading the new files. Then follow the directions.

Michael

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Using Fantastico probably wasn't a good idea. Not so much because it installed an old version (although I have to wonder why they're still installing a 3 year old release), but mainly because they changed our recommended directory layout. So when you upgrade from that install, you would still be stuck with that wrong layout.

If you want to try an older version, maybe get 1.5.2 from our downloads section.

bye, Dirk

TennSeven

Forum User
Junior
Ok, sorry to be silent on this issue for a month, but things have been busy. Basically, I wiped the fantastico version and re-installed the newest version again, and now suddenly I am not getting the errors. I have no idea what (if anything) changed, but after using it for about 3 weeks now I haven't noticed any issues.

Thank you all for your help!

-TennSeven

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:52 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content