Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 06:59 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Remember Me at login

kilerb

Forum User
Regular Poster
I saw a few posts about this from 2002 and 2006 regarding wanting the feature and then wondering why it didn't work. How do you implement it though? For Geek Log 1.6... Does it work well? Some were saying on older posts that they'd come back and not be logged in.

Thanks!

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
It has always worked find for me.

Geeklog automatically remembers if a user logins in (there is no checkbox for remember me when you login). For a user to modify their remember me setting they should visit My Account under the User Functions block. From there on the Username & Password tab you can set remember me from Don't, 1 hour, ... to all the way up to 1 month.
One of the Geeklog Core Developers.

kilerb

Forum User
Regular Poster
Thanks, can I make the universal login time 1 month for everyone? If so, where do I do that?

Thanks...

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Configuration > Geeklog > Miscellaneous > Cookies > Permanent Timeout

That's the default value (in seconds) for new users.

bye, Dirk

1000ideen

Forum User
There is also a similar feature request:
http://project.geeklog.net/tracking/view.php?id=721

kilerb

Forum User
Regular Poster
Quote by: Dirk

Configuration > Geeklog > Miscellaneous > Cookies > Permanent Timeout

That's the default value (in seconds) for new users.

bye, Dirk

Hi Dirk, you mentioned new users, what about existing users? Will this reset there's to a month if I change the permanent timeout setting? Or is it too late?

1000ideen

Forum User
The value is default so it should not override user settings. On the other hand you could make an FAQ section for your users and explain the user settings: http://www.geeklog.net/usersettings.php

kilerb

Forum User
Regular Poster
Ah, that's too bad. I wish we could just put a remember me box for users and not make them go into settings.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Unless I'm missing something, I still think that Geeklog doesn't need one of those "remember me" checkboxes. Here's why:

Geeklog identifies a logged-in user by their session, with a session ID stored in the database and in a session cookie in the user's browser. When that session has expired and the user comes back to the Geeklog site, they are identified by the permanent cookie (which is not the same as the session cookie). Only if that cookie doesn't exist (because it expired, in the browser), then the user is asked to log in again.

So Geeklog doesn't need a "remember me" checkbox, since it already remembers you!

The only question now is for how long it should remember you. That can be configured with the dropdown under My Account (and, for the site admin, in the Configuration as explained above). The default for that value is 28800 seconds, i.e. 8 hours.

For the admin to change that value for users that already logged into the site is tricky, since there's a cookie involved. You could change the 'cookietimeout' column in the gl_users table for all users and simply wait until their permanent cookie expires. The next time they log into the site, the new value will be picked up, i.e. the permanent cookie will live longer.

Or you could force the changeover by renaming the permanent cookie (in the Configuration). That would force every user to log into the site the next time they visit it (unless they still have a valid session).

HTH

bye, Dirk

kilerb

Forum User
Regular Poster
I hear ya... The people that are members on my site won't use their "my account" area often. They're a bunch of comics and some don't even like loggin in. Ha... I wish it was like Ebay where if they didn't click a box, they'd be logged in for 8 hours and if they do, they'd be logged in for longer. In Ebay's case it's a day, but with my site i'd make it a month.

Of the 2 suggested methods you mentioned for resetting everyone to 30 days, it seems like the method where I'm not changing the tables is the easiest, correct? If so, how do I force the changeover by renaming the permanent cookie in the config area? Sounds easy, but I don't quite grasp it.

Thanks!

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: kilerb

Of the 2 suggested methods you mentioned for resetting everyone to 30 days, it seems like the method where I'm not changing the tables is the easiest, correct?

You need to do both, actually. The bit about renaming the cookie was only meant to make the change propagate faster (by forcing everybody to log in again so they're picking up the changed value from the database).

So you would need to do this first:
Text Formatted Code
UPDATE gl_users SET cookietimeout = 2678400 WHERE uid <> 1;
(or 604800 for 1 week)

Then, go to

Configuration > Geeklog > Miscellaneous > Cookies > Permanent Cookie Name

and enter some other name for that cookie.

bye, Dirk

1000ideen

Forum User
Quote by: Dirk
So Geeklog doesn't need a "remember me" checkbox, since it already remembers you!

Yes, but it needs to make it visible to the nontech user. That`s why it should be near the login field. Look at most other forums, they have this feature: http://www.simplemachines.org/

For many GL versions many things have changed technically but not in regard of usability. This would be one aspect, waiting for years as FR.

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:59 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content