Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 11:17 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

New user registration

Sculley

Forum User
Junior
I'm new to Geeklog and helping a friend with her blog. Previous Admin kind of took off and no answer.

After changing Comment Default to Comments Enabled, I then changed the setting in Configurations > Users and Submissions > Users > Disable New Registrations to False so that we could allow comments. I tested the Comments and they are allowed now, however, I signed in as a new user and got this message:

"Thank you for applying for a membership with Asheville Yoga Teacher Training - Subtle Yoga . Our team will review your application. If approved, your password will be emailed to you at the email address you just entered."

Is there a way to just allow the PW to be sent to the new user's email w/o the site owner having to okay the person? The closest setting I found was E-Mail User Login Required? and it's set to False.

Thanks much!

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Configuration > Geeklog > Users and Submissions > User Submission > User Submission Queue

Set that to "False" (which is also the default, btw - someone must have changed that).

bye, Dirk

Sculley

Forum User
Junior
Thanks Dirk. The worked! Is there a way to have the email that sends the new PW automatically go to the login page? The email says:

This password is generated by a randomizer. It is recommended that you change this password immediately. To change your password, log in and then click My Account from the User Functions menu.

Then it gives a link to the homepage but there's no login section. So, I think users will be confused that they have to click Comment on a blog post to login in and then change their info. Or, is there a setting that will automatically display a login section on the sidebar or somewhere?

Also.....it looks like regular users can post "stories". We don't want users posting comments on the blog to have the ability to post "stories" if that means blog posts. How do we turn that off? Right now the closest thing is:

Story Submission Queue? False
List Draft Stories? True

Thanks much, Dirk!

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
By default, there is a login form on the left side (like here on geeklog.net). If you disabled that, you can send people to .../users.php and change the text of the welcome email accordingly.

You can't switch off story submissions entirely. The closest thing is to enable the story submission queue ("False" would disable it, i.e. stories would show up directly!), require being registered to be able to submit a story, and hide the "Contribute" link from the menu. Depending on your theme, it may be hard-coded in header.thtml or if it uses the standard menu, go to

Configuration > Geeklog > Theme > Theme > Menu Elements

and remove the 'contribute' entry (click on the 'X' button).

bye, Dirk

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
By default, there is a login form on the left side (like here on geeklog.net). If you disabled that, you can send people to .../users.php and change the text of the welcome email accordingly.

You can't switch off story submissions entirely. The closest thing is to enable the story submission queue ("False" would disable it, i.e. stories would show up directly!), require being registered to be able to submit a story, and hide the "Contribute" link from the menu. Depending on your theme, it may be hard-coded in header.thtml or if it uses the standard menu, go to

Configuration > Geeklog > Theme > Theme > Menu Elements

and remove the 'contribute' entry (click on the 'X' button).

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:17 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content