Welcome to Geeklog Tuesday, December 10 2019 @ 09:55 pm EST

Geeklog Forums

Geeklog 1.6.0 - new install - admin functions not working


Status: offline

tingo

Forum User
Chatty
Registered: 05/06/02
Posts: 57
Location:Oslo, Norway
Originally, I tried to upgrade a test installation from 1.4.0sr6 to 1.6.0. When that didn't work, I tried a new install instead.
So:
- this is a new install of Geeklog 1.6.0
- the installation went without any problems
- admin user can chagne password
- save configuration does NOT work
- create user does NOT work
- nothing in error.log or access.log
- no clues in http access or error logs either

Any hints of what could be the problem?

I have several Geeklog sites running, but this is my first 1.6.0 install (the other sites are <= 1.4.1)
I am using a proxy (apache) in front of all my Geeklog sites, but that shouldn't interfere with anything, right? Not even CSRF?

update: Geeklog 1.5.2sr4 behaves in exact the same way as 1.6.0.
 Quote

Status: offline

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Registered: 12/01/02
Posts: 13073
Location:Stuttgart, Germany
You're using the Professional theme that shipped with 1.6.0, I assume?

The CSRF stuff relies on the referrer. Is that something your proxy could interfere with?

bye, Dirk
 Quote

Status: offline

tingo

Forum User
Chatty
Registered: 05/06/02
Posts: 57
Location:Oslo, Norway
Quote by: Dirk

You're using the Professional theme that shipped with 1.6.0, I assume?


Yes, I am.
The CSRF stuff relies on the referrer. Is that something your proxy could interfere with?

Hmm, I don't think so. Basically, the proxy is a patch for apache 1.3.x that gives it tha same functionality as mod_proxy in apache 2.x

I'll see if I can find a script to verify that the referrer isn't munged in some way.
 Quote

Status: offline

tingo

Forum User
Chatty
Registered: 05/06/02
Posts: 57
Location:Oslo, Norway
Another update:
- I tried a clean install of Geeklog 1.4.1 - that works like it should
- then I did an upgrade (from 1.4.0.sr6) to Geeklog 1.4.1 (backups are great) , and that too works well.
This is strange.
 Quote

Status: offline

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Registered: 12/01/02
Posts: 13073
Location:Stuttgart, Germany
Quote by: tingo

This is strange.


Not at all. The CSRF protection was only introduced in 1.5.0

bye, Dirk
 Quote

Status: offline

tingo

Forum User
Chatty
Registered: 05/06/02
Posts: 57
Location:Oslo, Norway
Well, since I had success with my 1.4.1 upgrade, I had to try the next step too.
- upgraded from Geeklog 1.4.1 to 1.5.2sr4.
Result: success, Geeklog now works again.
Ther was one small nit with the upgrade process; it didn't read db-sttings, site name etc from the old config.php as advertised, even if it was put in place, wih the right permissions etc. No biggie - I just entered the values manually.

Update:
final step, upgrade from 1.5.2sr4 to 1.6.0

result - it works.

I really don't know what the problem was before.
 Quote

HiddenMysteries

Anonymous
I had the same problem.. after hours of looking around trying to figure some of this out..

I discovered that my access.log had to be chmod 777

It wouldn't let me save or change anything till I changed the permissions..

It did not report this in the error.log that was writing fine..

 Quote

All times are EST. The time is now 09:55 pm.

  • Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content