Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 05:13 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

creating or editing an article fails silently

roc97007

Forum User
Junior
Running Geeklog 1.4.0.sr5-1 on Fedora 10 with the Gallery plugin. I have several geeklog instances on this machine running the same version.

In the recent past I lost the ability to add or change (some) content on one of the sites. I log in as admin, and see the admin menus, so it doesn't appear to be an authentication issue. Other sites on this machine work fine. I have compared settings between working and non-working instances and nothing jumps out at me.

Here's the odd thing: On the broken site, I can change static pages. I have a running blog on the first page which is just a static page that grows without bound. If I add to it, I see the content. But if I try to add a new story or change an existing story, I can preview the changes, and hitting "save" doesn't appear to error out, but the new content is not there. Sometimes when this happens it's a local cache issue, but hitting shift-refresh doesn't help.

Doing a tail -f on the error log while doing a save operation yields the following SQL:

Sun 05 Jul 2009 22:08:42 PDT - SELECT * FROM mnu_index WHERE ((perm_anon >= 3) OR (perm_members >= 2) OR ((group_id = 2) AND (perm_group >= 2)) OR ((group_id = 4) AND (perm_group >= 2)) OR ((group_id = 7) AND (perm_group >= 2)) OR ((group_id = 21) AND (perm_group >= 2)) OR ((group_id = 20) AND (perm_group >= 2)) OR ((group_id = 11) AND (perm_group >= 2)) OR ((group_id = 17) AND (perm_group >= 2)) OR ((group_id = 5) AND (perm_group >= 2)) OR ((group_id = 13) AND (perm_group >= 2)) OR ((group_id = 12) AND (perm_group >= 2)) OR ((group_id = 18) AND (perm_group >= 2)) OR ((group_id = 10) AND (perm_group >= 2)) OR ((group_id = 8) AND (perm_group >= 2)) OR ((group_id = 1) AND (perm_group >= 2)) OR ((group_id = 15) AND (perm_group >= 2)) OR ((group_id = 14) AND (perm_group >= 2)) OR ((group_id = 3) AND (perm_group >= 2)) OR ((group_id = 23) AND (perm_group >= 2)) OR ((group_id = 6) AND (perm_group >= 2)) OR ((group_id = 9) AND (perm_group >= 2)) OR ((group_id = 24) AND (perm_group >= 2)) OR ((owner_id = 2) AND (perm_owner >= 2))) AND (lang = 'english'Wink ORDER BY m_pos ASC
Sun 05 Jul 2009 22:08:42 PDT - nrows = 8 <> language = english

I don't know if this is an indication of a problem but include it for completeness.

Any ideas?

roc97007

Forum User
Junior
I've narrowed down the problem. This problem occurs with the Smooth Blue theme, but not with the Professional theme. It's very repeatable -- choose Smooth Blue (which this particular site uses as default) and story updates silently fail. Switch to professional, all is well. This would explain why some of my sites worked and some didn't. It doesn't explain why this particular site suddenly stopped working some weeks ago.

I've read other articles about this issue, and confirmed that taking enctype out of storyeditor.thtml did not work, and upload_files was already set to on in php.ini. This appears to be something different. Still diagnosing, will report if I find anything interesting.

To others who are having this problem (not able to originate or change stories) try a different theme, even if the theme you're currently using used to work.

suprsidr

Forum User
Try copying all the admin templates from professional to smoothblue.
Basically your theme needs to be updates(as well as your site we are at 1.6 now)

-s
FlashYourWeb and Your Gallery with the E2 XML Media Player for Gallery2 - http://www.flashyourweb.com

roc97007

Forum User
Junior
That did it. I copied the contents of the admin folder from professional to my layout and that appears to have solved the problem. Thanks very much.

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:13 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content