What's new see the plugin's wiki

Thanks,

::Ben
I'm available to customise your themes or plugins for your Geeklog CMS

PNMarkW2

Forum User
Junior
Ben,

I've had a previous version of this installed for awhile, and I just wanted to say thanks. We use to get several (3-5) false new users registrations per day, and it was a constant headache to go in and clean them out. With this plugin the issue is greatly reduced.

Thanks for the great work! Smile
~Mark

1000ideen

Forum User
Mark, have you also tried BadBehavior2 plugin? It keeps away spam bots.

Forum User
Thanks for the feedback Mark.

This update fix some bugs

* Fix bugs in contact and emailstory template.
* Fix language file where 2 words where missing.
* Fix bug in the Logviewer for non existing log file.

I'm available to customise your themes or plugins for your Geeklog CMS

PNMarkW2

Forum User
Junior
Mark, have you also tried BadBehavior2 plugin? It keeps away spam bots.

Yes, I also had BadBehavior2 installed, I would still get several bad new users each day or so. Now when I say bad user, nothing ever got posted by these "users", They would register, never log in, then we'd delete them. They were judged "bad" based on the user name and/or email address entered, plus never logging in.

Now I never looked into it, but I kinda of assumed BadBehavior was at least in part behind why they never came back. The captcha plugin just helps keep them out in the first place. I only have it turned on to register new users, making any kind of post on our site requires you to be logged in. And even then it still has to be approved.

Just to give you an idea, we have about 50 users (small site), the most recent user who registered this month is number 323. Between users 194 and 314 there was only 1 valid user ID. Between 314 and 323 I've only deleted 1 user, although I see one that should most likely go. I don't know, user name is 93bi91biba21. Think they're valid? Big Grin

~Mark

1000ideen

Forum User
There are several ways to stop spam subscriptions, BadBehavior2 is one of them. I only faced 1 spammer who passed BadBehavior2 ever.

You don`t have it installed now but it would be interesting how they pass BadBehavior2 and give the author some feedback.

On the other hand, if you can live with Captchas it`s o.k. too.

1000ideen

Forum User
I just looked at your site you chose the difficult captchas where one can hardly distinguish the characters I1L0O. Have you tried it yourself? I found them very frustrating and took them off my sites.

In my mind this is a design error to use letter and numbers which look very similar.

PNMarkW2

Forum User
Junior
This is not really the place to discuss another plugin, but the site you looked at is not the one I was speaking about it. That's my wife's personal site, and while it closely mirrors the site I was speaking of they are not the same. Although I am surprise I didn't have bad behavior there too. Big Grin

This http://www.cpcbsa.org/lewisandclark/ is where I've been working this week. Bad Behavior was there until Monday or Tuesday, then I had some issues that required it be reinstalled and that took place yesterday, or maybe this morning, I forget.

Oh, and yes I have looked at the Captcha images and I have no problem with them, I find them easy to read, and given my eyesight that's saying something. Plus, you only have to deal with them once if you want to register, then you never see them again. Big Grin
~Mark

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:52 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content