Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, March 19 2024 @ 12:28 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Plugin Repository Development Thread

Page navigation

1000ideen

Forum User
Hm, that`s an interesting point a little bit like the WindowsXP recovery points or so. I remember that fantasctico also offers updates of the auto installed software and makes a backup of at least the MySQL in a safe place.

So the repository would make a backup of MySQL and also plugin files if an old version existed before. Does not sound too difficult, does it?

Yes, I like the idea, could have been mine Exclamation

jmucchiello

Forum User
Quote by: cordiste

Hello Joe,

I was thinking to new users (geeklog 1.6 and higher) who need to downgrade (I never needed this feature Smile ) and he do not known nothing about manual upgrade or downgrade.

But after all, maybe the plugin manager can downgrade a plugin with the upgrade function if we choose an older version?

::Ben

The problem is the plugin writes all the code to do upgrades. You aren't going to find a plugin author who is going to spend time writing downgrade functions. For one thing they are guaranteed to be buggy because it is not something you'll be testing very often or very rigorously. Again, this is not something simple for the repository/upgrade code to handle. How would it store a snapshot of the system before the upgrade? Some plugin upgrades involve row level changes to entire tables. How do you reverse that? What if a field is dropped? What could be done to recreate the data in the dropped field?

All I'm saying is this is not going to be a problem 99% of the time. I don't think finding an automated solution for this is proportional to the amount of usage it would see. When those post-1.6 only users have this kind of problem, they will have to learn about Geeklog under the hood.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I guess if Geeklog knew the tables belonging to a plugin, it could make a backup of those somehow and then offer a rollback if needed.

It would require some cooperation from the plugin and would probably be a lot of work for what is - I hope - a rare use case. And it's certainly outside of the scope of the Plugin Repository project.

bye, Dirk

Forum User
Yes, just manual and automatic possibilities for the plugin manager will be enough. It was just to take care about another point of view Wink

Thanks for this little brainstorm Smile

We could start another post to build a plugins list we would like to include in the main geeklog repository or maybe start a new wiki page. With this list we could see if some plugins need some upgrade to be repository ready and start to maintain some very old but usefull ones.

I'm available to customise your themes or plugins for your Geeklog CMS

suprsidr

Forum User
I think I've got it.
  • Backup your database
  • Install/upgrade your cool plugin
  • If you don't like it, restore your DB backup and re-upload the old version

Solved.

Oh wait that makes too much sense.

-s
FlashYourWeb and Your Gallery with the E2 XML Media Player for Gallery2 - http://www.flashyourweb.com

Forum User
A plugins list is now in the wiki.

I'm available to customise your themes or plugins for your Geeklog CMS

Page navigation

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:28 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content