Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 07:05 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Author not displaying

pamur

Forum User
Junior
confused
Warning: I am a low-tech user.

I have recently installed 1.51 version of Geeklog from Fantastico. I had been using an old version of Geeklog so it wasn't completely alien. Slowly worked through a few problems but one has me stumped. The story author is not displaying. I have set the configuration option to show authors. I am using Smooth Blue Theme. Didn't find much in the forum. Don't really know where to look next.

The new version is really nicer to use BTW. I think I am going to like it.

pamur

Forum User
Junior
Additionally, I am not able to add the site slogan via the configuration menu. When I submit it, it comes back blank and doesn't show up on the header. Thanks.

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
It is a template issue. Geeklog 1.5.1 changed a few template variables. In the template smoothblue folder look for the files storytext.thtml and featuredstorytext.thtml. Change the line with the author information too:

Text Formatted Code
    <td class="content" colspan="2" width="100%">{start_contributedby_anchortag}{contributedby_author}{end_contributedby_anchortag}</td>

There are a few other changes that need to be done but just compare the problem files to the professional theme to find the differences in the template variables. You should also update the admin and a few other directories as well (straight copy from professional theme) plus there are a few css changes.

I believe someone was updating themes here and smooth blue may have been one of them, you should do a search for it.
One of the Geeklog Core Developers.

pamur

Forum User
Junior
Thanks I will dig a little more. I thought I got a compatible version of Smooth Blue but it may have been 1.50.

pamur

Forum User
Junior
I made the change you suggested and it did fix the author problem. Thanks again.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I thought the SmoothBlue theme available from the demo site was up to date, but when you select it there, it's also missing the author. I'll drop Michael a line ...

bye, Dirk

1000ideen

Forum User
Can you try the normal professional theme for trouble shooting? Does everything else work?

pamur

Forum User
Junior
I switched to the professional theme and everything seemed to be working. I have posted a few test articles from admin and as a user. It all seems to be functioning except for the slogan.

I also noted that there is not a Directory listed in Smooth Blue's menu bar even though it is listed in the theme configuration menu item selector. Yet some of the menu items that are there are not listed in the selector list. It looks like Smooth Blue must have a custom set of menu items.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: pamur

It all seems to be functioning except for the slogan.

I missed the bit about the slogan. Can you check your error.log file to see if contains any notices, e.g. messages like "Unable to unserialize"?

bye, Dirk

pamur

Forum User
Junior
Dirk,
The only error.log file I could find was in the logs subdirectory of my Geeklog directory. If that is the one you are talking about, it doesn't have any recent entries in it. It looks like the installation placeholder.

The site name does show up, just not the slogan. As I mentioned before when I try to enter the slogan, it just blanks out the entry slot when I hit "save changes".

Update: It turns out that neither the site title nor the slogan display when I use the Professional Theme. In both themes I can enter the title in the configuration form but I cannot enter the slogan in either of them.

ironmax

Anonymous
Hi guys,

I just got the message from dhaun about the Smooth_Blue theme having issues. Besides the Author missing, was there anything else, other than the slogan? I looked into that and it seems to work on my dev site and the demo site, and changes every time you make a change in the configuration. Please let me know here and I'll have those changes made before I put out an updated archive.

Michael

ironmax

Anonymous

I switched to the professional theme and everything seemed to be working. I have posted a few test articles from admin and as a user. It all seems to be functioning except for the slogan.

I also noted that there is not a Directory listed in Smooth Blue's menu bar even though it is listed in the theme configuration menu item selector. Yet some of the menu items that are there are not listed in the selector list. It looks like Smooth Blue must have a custom set of menu items.

Correct, the menu is custom. You can make changes in the header.thtml file. Between line 35 and 45 of the file you will find the following:

Text Formatted Code

<tr>
    <td class="menu" colspan="3" nowrap="nowrap">
      <a href="{site_url}/index.php">Homepage</a> |
      <a href="{site_url}/submit.php?type=story{current_topic}">{button_contribute}</a> |
      <a href="{site_url}/links/index.php">{button_links}</a> |
      <a href="{site_url}/calendar/index.php">{button_calendar}</a> |
      <a href="{site_url}/usersettings.php?mode=edit">{button_personalize}</a> |
      <a href="{site_url}/polls/index.php">{button_polls}</a> |
      <a href="{site_url}/search.php">{button_search}</a> |
      <a href="{site_url}/stats.php">{button_sitestats}</a>
    </td>

Follow the example above to make your changes.

Michael

pamur

Forum User
Junior
Quote by: ironmax

Michael

Thanks Michael, the directory button slipped right in there.

Still puzzled by the site_slogan issue. But it seems to be affecting the default professional theme too so must be a problem with my setup somehow. I just have no idea where to look. The "site_slogan" is written directly into the database by the configuration editor now, right? I don't see a configuration data file to edit anywhere.

Everything else seems to be working. I have pushed almost all of the user and admin buttons. Is the author issue the only one you are aware of in the latest download?

ironmax

Anonymous

Quote by: ironmax

Michael

Thanks Michael, the directory button slipped right in there.

Still puzzled by the site_slogan issue. But it seems to be affecting the default professional theme too so must be a problem with my setup somehow. I just have no idea where to look. The "site_slogan" is written directly into the database by the configuration editor now, right? I don't see a configuration data file to edit anywhere.

Everything else seems to be working. I have pushed almost all of the user and admin buttons. Is the author issue the only one you are aware of in the latest download?

Correct, its in the database and you can change it in the configuration under the Admin menu. Its on the first page, forth down from the top, on the right. Slogan (?)

Michael

pamur

Forum User
Junior
That is what I am doing. When I enter text into the "slogan (?)" field and push the "save changes" button the field is cleared and nothing happens. There is no error message. Just won't take it.

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:05 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content