Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 09:45 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Topic/User/Submit Permissions redux

BobWeber

Forum User
Sorry I didn't submit my question properly yesterday. (Attn Mod: Feel free to delete previous topic.)

As I understand Geeklog's design: If a User has Group & Topic-assigned, Edit permission for a SPECIFIC Topic, he/she can SUBMIT a new Story to ANY Topic for which he/she has Read ONLY permission, but subequently cannot EDIT that Story.

I know this topic has been previously covered but I'm wondering if there's a contemporary solution.

I need my managers to have the ability to submit/edit Stories to SPECIFIC Topics WITHOUT allowing them to submit a Story to a Topic to which their Group is not assigned. IE: I don't want my Marina manager to be able to submit/edit a story in the Yacht Sales Topic nor vice versa. (I obviously have no confidence in their ability to use a dropdown box properly.)

I found this thread from May, 04 and am wondering if this is the correct solution or if there's a better way...
http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=3&showtopic=34956&highlight=group

Thanks, Bob

suprsidr

Forum User
Dirk, is this not worth addressing?

-s
FlashYourWeb and Your Gallery with the E2 XML Media Player for Gallery2 - http://www.flashyourweb.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
The code posted in that old thread should still work. Keep in mind that it only hides the unwanted topics from the dropdown, though. So if a user really wanted, they could still post to those hidden topics.

bye, Dirk

BobWeber

Forum User
Thanks Dirk,
I just hate to (have suprsidr) edit core code for future update concerns, you know how his memory is (jk s)

Followup question: How would they still be able to post? Jump through tech hoops? These guys are amateurs and would not TRY to, I just want them not to post to the wrong Topic ACCIDENTLY.

Thanks, Bob

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: BobWeber

Followup question: How would they still be able to post? Jump through tech hoops?

Yeah, using manipulated forms or POST requests. Nothing you could do accidentally.

bye, Dirk

1000ideen

Forum User
Wasn`t there a feature request for read- and write-only topics? I can`t find it.

~~~adding~~~
At least I found the other thread about the same topic:
http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=71339

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:45 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content