Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 08:05 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

faq plugins

tim

Anonymous
confused
Was it so hard to get a decent FAQ plugin to work properly, I have installed faqman, faq 1.0.3, multifaq and another plugin mentioned in an earlier post.
I can get a one to load and install, but there are no options to add additional categories or faqs.
I assume that they install as any other module, some of the install directions are vague at best.

any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Tim

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
As you can see, we're using FAQ Manager here on geeklog.net. It has its quirks, but works for us.

It's been a while since I've used the Multi-FAQ plugin and I can't remember how it works, so no help there, sorry. Same for that other FAQ plugin that I've never used.

Keep in mind that some of the older plugins available for Geeklog require register_globals to be "on". Maybe that's part of your problems?

bye, Dirk

Tim

Anonymous
curious
Quote by: Dirk

As you can see, we're using FAQ Manager here on geeklog.net. It has its quirks, but works for us.

It's been a while since I've used the Multi-FAQ plugin and I can't remember how it works, so no help there, sorry. Same for that other FAQ plugin that I've never used.

Keep in mind that some of the older plugins available for Geeklog require register_globals to be "on". Maybe that's part of your problems?

bye, Dirk

I have register globals "on", and the plugin loads in admin/plugins. however, when click to install nothing happens. I noticed that most plugins have at least two files in the plugin/admin, such as an index and instll file. This module has only an index.php, I wonder if a file is missing.

any other ideas why it might not load?

Tim

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: Tim

[This module has only an index.php, I wonder if a file is missing.[/p]

Which plugin are you talking about now? And how did you get it to install if it didn't come with an install script?

bye, Dirk

Tim

Anonymous
Quote by: Dirk

[This module has only an index.php, I wonder if a file is missing.[/p]

Which plugin are you talking about now? And how did you get it to install if it didn't come with an install script?

bye, Dirk

faqman, from the link you provided me. I did not say that it did not have an install script, I just referenced that most othe plugins, have more than on file in the admin/plugins directory, and was wondering why this plugin had only one script in that directory. I know very little about script writing and proper directories, it was merely inquirey.

As for any help in overiding anything; such as writing a .htaccess file, and placing it in root to override php.ini settings, as your help FAQ suggest, that did not work either, because it blocked me from the site. I do not know how to correctly write a htaccess file , which could be the problem.

At any rate, php.ini register_globals are on, the plugin loaded in my admin directory but will not install.

Just looking for some help

tim

Anonymous
ok, I said module and should have said plugin, but I really meant to say was directory.

Tim

TIM

Anonymous
Quote by: tim

ok, I said module and should have said plugin, but I really meant to say was directory.

Tim

Faqman

In my admin/plugins, there is a little box with a "?" mark in it and it says "install" "uninstall" plugin.
I click install, nothing happens, however, when I click the box with the question mark, the path goes to http://mywebsite/admin/plugins/faqman/index.php
The page comes up "not found"

the admin directory for faqman has only, admin/install.php
most plugins have, admin/intall.php, index.php ...

that was my question

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

At any rate, php.ini register_globals are on, the plugin loaded in my admin directory but will not install.

The FAQ Manager plugin requires register_globals = on to install. If you get stuck on the install screen and it keeps saying that the plugin is not installed, then you don't have register_globals = on. Remember to restart your webserver after every php.ini change.

Once the plugin is installed, you can disable register_globals again - it's not needed for the plugin to work.

The reason for the non-standard directory structure is that FAQ Manager was originally a stand-alone script that has been turned into a plugin for Geeklog.

bye, Dirk

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Alternatively, try this version.

bye, Dirk

remy

Forum User
I am using that version (0.8.1 for geeklog 1.5) and installed it successfully.

Being in the admin screens, nothing seem to work, and the index page keeps loading.
Investigation learns me that a 302 redirection is issued on any link clicked.
Which means I cannot add a category, neither a topic.

The 302 redirects apparently to /faqman/admin/index.php.

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
The Faq Manager is installed on Geeklog.net (Geeklog 2.0) and it works fine but their may be some custom code there.

Dirk may know more...
One of the Geeklog Core Developers.

::Ben

Forum User
To install faq plugin on a Geeklog 2.0, remove from sql/install.php file

Text Formatted Code

$_SQL[] = "INSERT INTO (is_enabled, name, type, title, tid, blockorder, content, onleft, phpblockfn, owner_id, group_id, perm_owner, perm_group)
VALUES (1,'faq_random_block','phpblock','FAQ','all',55,'',0,'phpblock_faq_random',,#group#,3,3)";

Ben
I'm available to customise your themes or plugins for your Geeklog CMS

remy

Forum User
@Ben: there is no such file. Probably you refer to a different faq plugin.

@Tom: Checking the code learns me that this faqman plugin doesn't handle the GET params properly. I don't know what to change here.

@Dirk: the statement that GL2.0 works with register_globals is off is correct. This plugin however still needs that or has the code changes only partial.

So, the cause of the 302 redirect is that the scripts do not recognize the GET variables:

$op = param("op", "GET"Wink;

::Ben

Forum User
@Remy I'm talking about faq plugin 1.1.0

Ben
I'm available to customise your themes or plugins for your Geeklog CMS

remy

Forum User
embarrassed
It turns out that the function param() in ./data/common.lib.php has a negligent bug.

The function needs a declaration like
Text Formatted Code

$mymethod='_'.$method;
   global $$mymethod;

This is because superGlobals cannot be used as a variable-variable inside a function.
And global $_{$method} emits a parse error.

So I bet that faqman at geeklog.net does not work at all, besides the browsing, that is.

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
I didn't add anything but I can move around the admin interface of faqman just fine on Geeklog.net.

Faqman has not been actively developed for a while so if it is working here someone may have performed some updates on it.
One of the Geeklog Core Developers.

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:05 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content