Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 07:36 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

New to GeekLog

jws

Forum User
Hi,

I'm new to Geeklog. I've tried many other CMS scripts out there, and so far I have been really impressed by the ease of use and the productivity you can get out of this.

I have hit a roadblock, however. I want to create new links, which are listed on the left of the page. In particular, I would like to create a link to a SMF forum and have the link listed on the left side of the page, like it is here, and also have it open up in _parent, if possible with the links still showing on the left of the page.

If this is not possible, is there a forum mod that I can download that will integrate with geeklog?

Also, on my installation, I still have the link "geeklog" If I delete this, as long as there are no articles listed under it, will it hurt anything?

I sure do appreciate anyone's help.

Thanks in advance. :wink:
JWS

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
The "Geeklog" link you're referring to is probably the topic. You can delete it without any problems, but you need at least one topic to be able to post stories. So you may have to create a new topic.

As for links in side blocks: You can alway create a "normal" block and enter plain HTML in there. That's how the "Resources" block on the left was made.

bye, Dirk

jws

Forum User
Hello,

Thanks for the information. Do you know if the forum can be modded into geeklog like this one is?
JWS

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: jws

Do you know if the forum can be modded into geeklog like this one is?

What do you mean? The forum here is a plugin - an extension for Geeklog. You can download it from the author's homepage.

bye, Dirk

jws

Forum User
Sweet.

Yeah, that was what I was looking for.

I appreciate that. :wink:
JWS

mst3kroqs

Forum User
Regular Poster

Sweet.

Yeah, that was what I was looking for.

I appreciate that. :wink:

Note that glLabs is bundling a slightly 'tweaked' version of this forum plugin with a few other useful plugins and utilities in a distribution based upon Geeklog 1.5.0 here.

Note that this means it cannot be ready for 'production use' any earlier than Geeklog 1.5.0, and probably it will be a little bit after that.

-m

jws

Forum User
Hi Chatty,

So this will work with Geeklog 1.5.0rc2 ?

Also, looking at the instructions to install plugins for the other , http://www.portalparts.com/ , The link -> http://wiki.geeklog.net/index.php/Plugins is missing the images, which are a part of the instructions.

Does anyone know of a link that has the same information on it? I assume that if I wanted to use the forum that is used on this site, it would be "Forum Version 2.7" ?

I appreciate the help guys.
JWS

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Yeah, something's funky with that wiki articles and the images. Try again - do they show up now?

And, yes, Forum 2.7 is the current version of the forum plugin (the same version we're running here).

bye, Dirk

jws

Forum User
Hi Dirk,

The site resolves, but the 2 images are still missing. I don't if they have been deleted from the server, or if the path is incorrect, but when I try to acess the image at ->http://images/2/25/PluginEditor.jpg , I get"page cannot be displayed.

However, this url appears to be correct: http://wiki.geeklog.net/images/2/25/PluginEditor.jpg . Looking at that, do I need to install a "plugin editor"?
JWS

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Not sure what's happening with the images there. Need to ask Tom (who's hosting the wiki) to look into it ...

Looking at that, do I need to install a "plugin editor"?

The Plugin Editor is part of Geeklog, see the "Plugins" link in your Admins block. You can disable and uninstall plugins there, but the installation is done elsewhere (for now).

bye, Dirk

jws

Forum User
Hi Dirk,

Gotcha. I appreciate your help. I guess all is left now is to take the plunge and see what happens after I install the forum.

Thanks again.
JWS

jws

Forum User
Quote by: Dirk

The "Geeklog" link you're referring to is probably the topic. You can delete it without any problems, but you need at least one topic to be able to post stories. So you may have to create a new topic.

As for links in side blocks: You can alway create a "normal" block and enter plain HTML in there. That's how the "Resources" block on the left was made.

bye, Dirk

Ok, I see where to create the blocks, which appear to contain the heading for the links under it, but how do you create the links under the heading, say for instance Resources?
JWS

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

Ok, I see where to create the blocks, which appear to contain the heading for the links under it, but how do you create the links under the heading, say for instance Resources?

That's just plain HTML and goes into the "Block Content" box:
Text Formatted Code
<b>Getting started</b>
<ul style="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0; margin-left: 16px; padding-left: 0; border: none;">
<li><a href="http://www.geeklog.net/filemgmt/viewcat.php?cid=8" title="Download the latest version">Download Geeklog</a></li>

bye, Dirk

jws

Forum User
Quote by: Dirk

That's just plain HTML and goes into the "Block Content" box:
Text Formatted Code
<b>Getting started</b>
<ul style="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0; margin-left: 16px; padding-left: 0; border: none;">
<li><a href="http://www.geeklog.net/filemgmt/viewcat.php?cid=8" title="Download the latest version">Download Geeklog</a></li>

bye, Dirk

Hi Dirk,

Thanks for the help. I do have another question pertaining to this. Ok, I need to create a new block, and call it Schools. So to get the heading "Schools" to show up, I will need to add this in the title, but if I do not enter anything in the html "block content", no heading will show up. If I add text, then the title and text will show up. How can I get the heading "Schools" to show up with a link under it listing different schools, ie Westend , Central , and then have information about Westend under the "Westend " link....etc?

Also, how can I disable the link "Site Statistics" to everyone but me?

Thanks.
JWS

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
It's actually a feature that empty blocks don't show up (no, really).

As for adding schools in a block: Again, plain HTML. Just write it like you would do on a "normal" web page. <a href="...">School name</a> and so forth.

For the site stats, there's an option in config.php to prevent access for anonymous users: $_CONF['statsloginrequired']. Or simply remove the 'stats' entry from $_CONF['menu_elements'].

bye, Dirk

jws

Forum User
Hi Dirk

As for adding schools in a block: Again, plain HTML. Just write it like you would do on a "normal" web page. <a href="...">School name</a> and so forth.
So, all I need to do is list all of the school links, and then create code needed for the information I want to be seen about each school, and it will list all of the school links under the topic/heading "Schools", and when you click on the link/links, it will have the information I coded for each on the page it opens up to?
JWS

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

So, all I need to do is list all of the school links, and then create code needed for the information I want to be seen about each school

I was assuming you wanted to link to those school's websites. If you want to create pages with information about the schools on your own site, I'd suggest creating a "Static Page" (see your Admin menu again) for each of them and put the links to each of those static pages in the block.

There may be some hacks or add-ons available that automate this process, but if there aren't too many entries, doing it manually would be the easiest way.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:36 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content