Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 10:42 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Next Geeklog Release?

Newstersd

Anonymous
Guys when is the next geeklog release comming out.

i am hooked and need more features... :-)

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Standard reply: "When it's done."

Unfortunately, we lost one developer, so things are going a bit slow at the moment. But we're getting there ...

If you're feeling adventurous, try a nightly tarball.

bye, Dirk

Anonymous
Why not SVN? Just wondering.

geiss

Forum User
Quote by: Dirk

Unfortunately, we lost one developer, so things are going a bit slow at the moment. But we're getting there ...

I am aware of the "history" there, and while it is a shame Oliver chose to leave, I can't help but wonder why anyone else hasn't been offered the ability to "step up" so to speak. The general impression that I've had over the years is that the core dev team is a pretty closed group of only a handful of individuals. I am neither critisizing or condoning that, just stating an observation.

Also, I know that people tend to get burnt out over time (it's human nature, and to be expected, and happens to me all the time! Big Grin ) and I hope that a project as great as Geeklog will not languish because of human nature, pride, or egos... (again, I'm not implying anything specific here about anyone, just generalizations).

With SOC possibly coming, and in the spirit of opening things up a bit, perhaps the core dev team would be benefitted by reviewing other active members in the community, and their contributions, and extending the hand and ask for some :helpme: and delegate some responsibility :shakehands:

I'm as anxious as the next person to see GL development continued, and where I can, contribute my theme ideas. I am very appreciative and supportive of all the time and talents of the core team, but sadly I feel that at a certain point GL will collapse on itself if not infused every now and again with "new blood".

-Eric
Synergy - Stability - Style --- Visit us at glfusion.org

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: guest

Why not SVN? Just wondering.

SVN doesn't really offer any significant advantage over CVS, unless you're doing a lot of moving or renaming of files (which we don't).

I'd like to look into using a modern distributed source code control system some day, something like git, bazaar, or monotone. Something like this would fit our development model better, I think.

bye, Dirk

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: geiss

I am aware of the "history" there, and while it is a shame Oliver chose to leave, I can't help but wonder why anyone else hasn't been offered the ability to "step up" so to speak.

To be perfectly honest, I don't see any obvious candidates right now.

Quote by: geiss

With SOC possibly coming

We still have Aaron, Matt, and Ramnath, our SoC students from last year, and they still contribute every now and then. But they're still students and are therefore legitimately busy with other things.

We have applied for the Summer of Code again this year - we'll see whether we've been accepted again next Monday (17th).

bye, Dirk

geiss

Forum User
To be perfectly honest, I don't see any obvious candidates right now.

That might currently be the case, and there is nothing wrong with that. But I have two thoughts:

1- At the hospital where I work, we've had a position open for almost 2 years because the job requirements and education are so stringent. There are only a handful of qualified people in the entire country that could fill the position as currently defined, and because of it, that particular program at the hospital is stagnating. The point is, if you are looking for someone who can for example develop code, write documentation, theme, troubleshoot, has a personality that meshes well with the existing group, has the available time, and has the interest, you probably will never find the right candidate. :wink:

2- Using my example from work above, perhaps a smaller set of criteria can be identified, and make several smaller positions available and delegate some responsibility. Then, instead of one "core dev" group, the community could start to form smaller, more focused groups that all work in tandem toward the goals of the Geeklog project. Some brainstormed groups could include: Core code developers, plugin developers, theme developers, documentation groups, a team to manage the main website and possible subsites...etc.

Overall, I'm not suggesting one redesign the wheel, but maybe add 3 other wheels, an axle, and a body, and together we can drive around and impress all our friends! :cool:

Thx!

Eric
Synergy - Stability - Style --- Visit us at glfusion.org

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:42 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content