Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, March 19 2024 @ 06:47 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

SMTP Error

itsme

Anonymous
I recently found that I'm getting errors whenever my Geeklog install sends emails. I traced it back to the mail server, but it appears that port 25 has been blocked. I decided that it would be easier to use an external mail server - gmail to be exact. I'm now getting the following error message:
Text Formatted Code
Sun Jan 13 14:48:14 2008 - [pear_error: message="Failed to set sender: xxxx@thebrewblog.com [SMTP: Invalid response code received from server (code: 530, response: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first s54sm7330130rnb.8)]" code=10004 mode=return level=notice prefix="" info=""]

Anyone ever run into this? If so, what did you do to correct the problem?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Incidentally, I wrote this wiki article recently: http://wiki.geeklog.net/wiki/index.php/Mail_Setup_for_GMail. See if that helps.

bye, Dirk

itsme

Anonymous
Thanks Dirk,

I had tried that, and the error message states that the SMTP server does not support authentication, so I changed the 'auth' parameter to false. With everything else set as you have them in your wiki article, I receive the error I posted above.

It seems that the error has two parts, one is that the sender cannot be set, and the other states that a STARTTLS command needs to be issued first. Any ideas on where to look?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I did actually test it before I wrote the above post. So it works for me.

It's possible that there were some changes in the PEAR classes we're using to send email. Try updating your PEAR libraries. A version that's newer than the one that shipped with 1.4.1 is available from the CVS page. Or run "pear upgrade-all", if you can, to get the latest version.

bye, Dirk

itsme

Anonymous
Thanks again Dirk,

I downloaded the pear package and tried again. Still the same results. I guess I'll have to either find another external smtp server, or find a different host for the site.

Any suggestions on either of those?

itsme

Anonymous
I looked up how to set up smtp through Google (tried posting link, but SpamX thinks it's spam). Following their format, I get this error message:
Text Formatted Code
Wed Jan 16 21:42:11 2008 - [pear_error: message=" authentication failure [SMTP: SMTP server does not support authentication (code: 250, response: mx.google.com at your service, [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
SIZE 28311552
8BITMIME
STARTTLS
ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES)]" code=10002 mode=return level=notice prefix="" info=""]

I received the same error when following your suggestion above, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Looking through the PEAR code, I noticed that it seems to require PHP 5.1.0 to do the STARTTLS. Which PHP version are you on?

bye, Dirk

itsme

Anonymous
I'm running 4.3.9, should I go back to the previous version of pear? I'll see if I can upgrade PHP, but I run two GL instalations, and one is a highly modified version of 1.3.7. I'm sure 1.4.1 can handle PHP 5.1.x, but I'm not sure about GL 1.3.7. Would 1.3.7 work with the newer version? What would be the easier route to take? Upgrade PHP, or downgrade PEAR?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
You can keep the PEAR packages - they will work just as well on PHP 4. They are actually updates to the ones that shipped with 1.4.1, i.e. they contain bugfixes.

And, erm, you are aware that Geeklog 1.3.7 has security issues? Unless you backported our fixes, it's possible to hack that site ...

The earliest Geeklog version that's known to (mostly) work with PHP 5 is 1.3.9. So I'd say 1.3.7 will probably have problems on PHP 5. Given that 1.3.7 was released 5 years ago, that's justifiable, I think.

bye, Dirk

itsme

Anonymous
Quote by: Dirk[snip...]

And, erm, you are aware that Geeklog 1.3.7 has security issues? Unless you backported our fixes, it's possible to hack that site ...

The earliest Geeklog version that's known to (mostly) work with PHP 5 is 1.3.9. So I'd say 1.3.7 will probably have problems on PHP 5. Given that 1.3.7 was released 5 years ago, that's justifiable, I think.

bye, Dirk[/p]

Yes, I'm aware of the security issues, but after a little over four years online, and having only a couple minor hack attempts, I feel comfortable with it. It does need an overhaul, but I don't have the time that I once had. Maybe not having the email working is a good excuse to take the time to integrate my hacks to 1.4.1, but the email doesn't work in my newer site, and that's more important than the old one.

I dunno, I'll figure something out. Thanks for the help anyway.

Quang

Anonymous
The code found in this example should be fairly straightforward, so I won't elaborate on its contents, although it's worth noting that in this particular case PHP's OpenSSL extension must be enabled, because Gmail requires an SSL connection in addition to SMTP authentication. If your server doesn't require SSL, you should be able to authenticate without necessarily reconfiguring PHP to include this extension.

Hexdude

Anonymous
Got mine working with my gmail hosted domain. I used "ssl://smtp.gmail.com" as my server, port 465 and authentication=1.

and I activated the openssl extension in php.ini.

geeklog version 1.6.0

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:47 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content