Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 09:30 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Database Backup - Not a Clue

tacomamama

Forum User
So, I have this huge website, which to date I have not backed up once.

Yikes!

I really need to do this, but when I try I get this error:

Incorrect path or mysqldump utility not executable.
Check $_DB_mysqldump_path definition in config.php.
Variable currently defined as: /usr/bin/mysqldump

OK, where exactly is this attempting to back up to, and do I need to install something there? Or change the path? There's a note in the config file that windows users should add .exe, is this trying to back up to my PC? In that case that should fix it, but I'm scared to tinker with it since I have no backup.

As you can see, I'm not kidding when I said I didn't have a clue.

And I'm scared that I'm jinxing myself here by even raising the subject, so hopefully someone can help.

tacomamama

Forum User
I tried adding .exe, now I just get the same error, with the .exe on the end. Confused

I would dearly love to upgrade to a newer version but I really need to backup first. (I just need to backup anyway.)

tacomamama

Forum User
Well, I found this thread:

http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=78241&mode=&show=5&page=2

and verified that the path is as it should be, (mysqldump is in usr/bin) so I am back to having no clue. Now I'm starting to panic, just slightly, that I might not be able to back this thing up.

jmucchiello

Forum User
Slow down. Does your host provider give you a way to view your databases (such as phpmyadmin)? If so, you can always use that interface to backup your database.

tacomamama

Forum User
I will suggest that to my husband, he's my host provider.

Thank you for responding, I'll see if I can manage a backup without the geeklog function. I've found two other people in the forum asking the same question recently and neither ever solved the problem, so it does seem to require some kind of work around.

ironmax

Anonymous
Quote by: tacomamama

I will suggest that to my husband, he's my host provider.

Thank you for responding, I'll see if I can manage a backup without the geeklog function. I've found two other people in the forum asking the same question recently and neither ever solved the problem, so it does seem to require some kind of work around.

Even better. Nothing better than having a host provider do that for you, especially when he's your husband. Your in good hand now.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

tacomamama

Forum User
Wow, thank you, did you just write that?

So, should my database username and password be the same as the name I use to ftp into the server? Or if I change those things will I do horrible things to my database?

I'm very nervous about touching any of this, so I want to be sure I'm not going to hurt anything before I go making changes.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

Wow, thank you, did you just write that?

No, that is part of our handy FAQ.

So, should my database username and password be the same as the name I use to ftp into the server?

No. In fact, if your Geeklog site is up and running, the only thing that you may need to change is the path to your mysqldump executable. Or, if you say that the path is correct, then the permissions may be wrong. Which, I guess, your husband / hosting service should know more about.

bye, Dirk

1000ideen

Forum User
If you are working with cpanel there are nice back up routines for your whole internet site including emails etc.

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:30 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content