Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 01:25 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

any thoughts on photo news ?

trampoline

Forum User
This site http://www.phayul.com/news/article.aspx?t=3&c=1&id=18306
has a photo news setion I like it, it adds something, what I really like is the Forward & backward buttons, to browse the photo news...
My question is could we do something like this in Geeklog ?
If so how easy do you think this would be ?

beewee

Forum User
You could set config.php to use only one article per page. Next problem would be the paging, I believe there are some forum threads about that.
Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

jmucchiello

Forum User
With the right modifications to the templates, you could do this with mediagallery.

machinari

Forum User
yeah, I like that too! as beewee says, using one article per page set from the config.php would work. I don't know what the problem with paging would be as I've done that on a couple of site's without issue.

As for the pictures, you could go two ways: first, use an MG autotag embedded in the article. The autotag offers the ability to add size parameters for the image. Second, you could adust the appropriate MG template file to display the image caption differently and either embed the autotag again in an article, or my preference would be to have a different type of centerblock for MG that would display a series of picture news items like this and that would do paging within the block itself.. That would be cool. Then I could still have my articles separate. Maybe a feature request for mevans.

machinari

Forum User
or if you want to go way off, make a "photo news plugin" with all kinds of funky options for drawing photos and/or captions and/or news from other parts of your site (or some other site) into one photo news item.

trampoline

Forum User
Quote by: machinari

or if you want to go way off, make a "photo news plugin" with all kinds of funky options for drawing photos and/or captions and/or news from other parts of your site (or some other site) into one photo news item.

Yes this is what I would like to do I think I'm 6 months off being able to really do a pluggin.
I think one article per page is no good for a site config.php as I want most topics to be multi items per page.

machinari

Forum User
setting one article per page on the front page still allows you to have more than one article on topic pages. That number is set from the topic editor. fyi.
I'd sure like to see a photo news plugin though.

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:25 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content