Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 18 2024 @ 08:10 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Google Maps and a locations/links database

Goat

Anonymous
Hi,

Our website as a reasonably large links section which has a lot of links from Australian Football clubs around the world (that's Aussie Rules football). I decided it would be good to not just have links but allow users to enter the lat/long for the home ground or clubrooms and display that on Google Maps. To start with I added Google Maps and currently I've got a small xml file with some example locations in it. The map page is here:

http://www.worldfootynews.com/staticpages/index.php/20070812152340235

But I'm thinking it would be better to either create a new mySQL table for this data, or add extra fields to the links table. Then I could add the option of entering lat and long in the "add a link" form. Bearing in mind this has been my first experience with php and myPHPadmin or whatever it's called. But I have worked out how to include the map, add new fields or tables and read that data back.

So my real question is "is this a smart way to do it?". Am I asking for trouble because there will be so many more files to upgrade each time there's a new Geeklog version released. We already find that an onerous task given we're amateurs very busy running the site in our spare time. Is it something the writers of the Links plugin would take on board as an option so I should wait? Maybe I should do the minimum and just have a separate table of links/locations for now so no integration required with the Links plugin - probably only a few hundred locations to be done, so would be quicker than altering a lot of code and having to maintain it.

Advice?

Cheers,
Goat

Goat

Anonymous

I'm thinking I might just add the extra fields to the links table and manually update them from myPHPAdmin or whatever it's called. Not elegant but requires minimum code alterations - maybe one day I'll decide it's worth extending it further.

I assume extending the links database table would have no ill effect on the rest of the geeklog code?

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:10 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content