Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 07:53 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

small changes and menu plugins

roc97007

Forum User
Junior
I'm currently working on a site that requires a gallery. What's required is a link on the left side that takes the user to the gallery. "Gallery 2" shows up in the user menu, but you have to be logged in to see the user menu, and this doesn't meet the requirements.

Adding a gallery link to the horizontal menu on the top of the page is easy enough, but the users really want it on the left up by "topics".

In previous versions of geeklog, I did this with the menu plugin from pigsyte.net. It doesn't want to install on geeklog 1.4.1. Before I start digging into the code, I wanted to see if there was something new out there that would do the same thing.

I came across GLmenu, but (a) GLmenu is way Way WAY overkill for what I'm trying to do, and (b) this is supposed to be a nonprofit site, and the cost of GLmenu is greater than all total expenditures so far.

Are there any other solutions? It's such a simple thing, just one more link on the left, that I'm tempted to hack the code to add it. Or backrev gallery so I can use the pigsyte menu plugin as currently written.

I'll read the answers here before committing to a strategy. If I end up porting the old menu plugin to 1.4.1, I'll post a link to the code in the forum, so people who don't need all the features of GLmenu will have a simpler alternative.

Ron

jmucchiello

Forum User
Go to blocks in your admin menu. Create a new block. In the block's content area, create the HTML for the link you want to add. Name the block appropriately. Save the block. Move it in the block order so it is near Topics.

ironmax

Anonymous
You may also want to look in the lib-custom.php file for custom menu items. In there you'll find a few examples on how to implement it.

Michael

Ron

Anonymous
cheerful
Thanks for your responses. Both suggestions are good. I didn't think of creating a new block. Will look into that. I also like the idea of making the changes in lib-custom.php. Will research both.

Ron

roc97007

Forum User
Junior
Creating a new block to create a menu works fine, but it bothered me that the menu plugin on pigsty.net wasn't working, so I did some additional digging.

I was assuming that the problem was that the plugin wasn't working with this version of geeklog. Turns out it was the version of PHP that was at issue, and in fact, I had solved this problem once before in December 2005. The solution is in the very last entry in this thread:

http://gplugs.pigstye.net/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=6&showtopic=1007

But still, this was a good learning experience. I discovered things about blocks that I didn't know about.

Ron

jetmuzer

Forum User
waa :banana:
thanks for this informations guys! i tryed to find it long time..
Happy New Year!

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:53 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content