Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 23 2024 @ 08:05 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Accessing config.php to edit Slogan?

mgavriel@ucla.edu

Anonymous
Hello,

I am completely new to setting up blogs. My blog was set up by a friend of mine, who I assume knows PHP and all other kinds of complicated computer programming. I am very happy with GeekLog and can maintain everything I need, except that I want to change the Site Slogan. I read in troubleshooting that I can do that by accessing config.php ("a text file"Wink. I downloaded PHP 5, but didn't choose to set up a Web Server, and don't know how to run it. I'm assuming there's no way to access config.php through Internet Explorer.

Can anyone help me change my site slogan by being able to edit Config.php? Is there any reading that will explain this to me? Thank you so very much for your time!

Best,

Michael

mgavriel@ucla.edu

jmucchiello

Forum User
Your webhost should provide you a way to access all the files on your account. If it allows you to edit the files, you can edit the config.php file right there. Otherwise you'll have to download the file, edit it on Windows, and then re-upload it. How this works is entirely dependent on your host provider so we can't be more specific.

Another method would be to find out how to FTP into your account (again your host provider has to provide you instructions for the name of the machine, account name and password, etc). Download a program called Filezilla. It is a good FTP program. (Find it with google.)

mgavriel@ucla.edu

Anonymous
Thank You very much! I will try to login to my host, etc, and perhaps post another response with the results.

mgavriel@ucla.edu

Anonymous
Hello again!

Thank you so much for your help. I finally FTP'd through and edited config.php!

Now I'm going to try to make a huge leap forward and install geeklog on my other website.

But before I do that, I have a question. Does anyone know of a geeklog-type-plugin? program? script? (not sure of right word), that would not put a blog on my website but a chat room? My second website would be much more ideally matched with a chat room, where users could log in (it is a sports website), even 3-4-5 at a time, or more, or just one at a time, whatever, and post their opinions on current sports events? I am really looking for a chat plugin that would leave whatever was chatted about on the website, this way, even if there is only one person logged in alone, he could see everything that has been written in the past as well, and then add his own comment if he pleases. I hope that makes sense. Ultimately, a week or so of chat might be accumulated and visible on the homepage (scrolling down), at any given time. Archived chat isnt a priority but presumably it would go to a second site, or something like that. Ideally, this chat script could also have room on its interface for some static information as well, i.e. a sports schedule, or just important "Sticky" information to use a msg board term.

If no one knows of this type of script, geeklog would be fine to get the sports website started, at least for now.

By the way, my stocks site is http://www.syostocks.com/ and my next site for sports will be http://www.syosports.com/

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!

Michael

mgavriel

Anonymous
Hello,

I am thrilled with my geeklog that is up and running at http://www.syostocks.com/

After an entire day today spent configuring my domain name addon to work, http://www.syosports.com/ is now up and running as well. I used Fantastico thru cPanel from my host to install geeklog.

I somewhat accidentally deleted the "Home" topic, and probably want to get that back. (The "Home" that remains close to the top of the left column and takes you home when you go to other parts of the site). I'm not sure how to get it back. The reason I deleted it was because my test stories are not showing up on my homepage, so I deleted all the other possible topics thinking that by only having one topic, and posting in it, it would certainly place the new stories on the homepage for all to see.

I have tried again and again to establish new topics changing settings, making sure the settings on my syostorts site matched the settings on my syostocks site, which works perfectly. I looked at my personal user settings, I am the admin, with full access...

Has anyone had this problem?

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:05 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content