Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 11:07 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

New user account weirdness

spidermann

Forum User
Junior
Ok, I am not a novice and am usually pretty darned good at figuring out issues, but this one does have me a bit stumped.

New users to my site (www.redbluffalumni.com) can create accounts just fine. They get the email with their password and can log in.

Now comes one of two problems that are showing up.

Problem 1: Accounts created with Windows browsers are not showing up in the "Who's Online" block with their usernames, but as "guests". As if the system is not recognizing them. Accounts created with Mac browsers are just fine in this respect. Yes, I tested with Firefox in both OSes (Tiger and XP SP2).

Problem 2: No one can edit their profiles for any reason. I can't get this one at all. Everything was working fine until tonight. People go to make changes and it states "To change your password, email address, or for how long to remember you, please enter your current password." When I log in as an account user (a few people on the site I know in person) I can't even edit the Bio portion. It states that I have to make sure the email address matches the ones the user registered with. They are both the same.

No idea what is going on.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Spider

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
The bit about users not showing up with their name (in the Who's Online block) may be due to the privacy settings. You can opt not to show up with your name, in which case you would be counted as an anonymous user.

Actually, I have been wondering for a while why so few people seem to show up with their name here on geeklog.net. It's possible that we have a bug there somewhere ...

bye, Dirk

spidermann

Forum User
Junior
Hi Dirk,

I would agree on the assessment of privacy settings, but these are virgin accounts where a person can't change any settings for whatever reason. When logged in, they are logged in but not shown as logged in. If you go to the site and create an account you will see what I mean (at least if you are using a Windows browser to create the account).

All of the older accounts can log in and be shown on the who's online block, just not any new ones.

spidermann

Forum User
Junior
yeah, been awhile.

Wink

I remember I had tried to install a "hack" or some such add-on that would make it so that people had to input their year of graduation to register. It didn't go as planned, and I thought I had removed all the changes, but it seems I did not.

I also cannot remember the name of the add-on to download and reverse changes from there.

any idea folks?

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:07 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content