Welcome to Geeklog Tuesday, January 25 2022 @ 03:00 am EST

Geeklog Forums

"Content Syndication" link gone.


Status: offline

spazthecat

Forum User
Newbie
Registered: 14/07/06
Posts: 14
Hi,

Today, I upgraded to GL 1.4.1 and I noticed the "Content Syndication" link in the Admin block disappeared. I'm a "root" user and contentent syndication is turned on in my config.php. It even updates fine when I add a new story.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andy
 Quote

Status: offline

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Registered: 12/01/02
Posts: 13073
Location:Stuttgart, Germany
Are you sure the database upgrade was successful?

As of 1.4.1, there's a separate 'syndication.edit' permission (and a Syndication Admin role) so that non-Root users can also administer feeds. Those are actually the first two things that are added to the database during the upgrade from 1.4.0 to 1.4.1, so you may want to run the upgrade again ...

bye, Dirk
 Quote

Status: offline

spazthecat

Forum User
Newbie
Registered: 14/07/06
Posts: 14
Well, I *thought* it upgraded OK. Unfortunately, my hosting providers uses Cpanel and I'm stuck trusting the scripts they use. When I look in the DB, I do see a "Syndication Admin" entry in the "gl_groups" table. However, when I look at "Groups" through GL, it does not show, nor does it show as an option under my user account.

Thanks,

Andy
 Quote

Status: offline

mst3kroqs

Forum User
Regular Poster
Registered: 18/10/05
Posts: 78
Location:Cary, NC USA
I can confirm this - my hosting provider is BlueHost, and the not-so-Fantastico 'upgrade' script which I used to update my 1.4.0 installation to 1.4.1 was also apparently flawed.

After the 'upgrade', The 'Content Syndication' option did not appear on my Admins Only block/Admin C&C Menu as well, and I also could not see the group in the Groups list.

Interestingly, the total number of groups indicated was 17, but only 16 groups were displayed. Apparently, the 'Content Syndication' group was the one missing. I checked with phpmyadmin, and did see it in the gl_groups table, FYI, so it appears that at least some of the SQL upgrade had been done.

Here's what I did (as admin):

1) I downloaded Blaine's Group Access Tool block, and installed it for admin/root.
2) I checked to see if the 'Syndication Admin' group had access to the 'syndication.edit' feature. It did not, and therefore I granted it.
3) I then checked to see if the 'Root' group had access to the 'syndication.edit' feature. Again, it did not, and I granted access.

At this point the 'Content Syndication' link appeared on the Admins Only Block/Admin C&C Menu, however still did not appear on the Groups list. I checked the gl_group_assignments table, and saw that the newly-created Syndication Admin group (grp_id=17) had not been associated with the 'Root' group (grp_id=1), and therefore I used phpmyadmin to add a record to make the Root group inherit the Syndication Admin group rights as follows:

INSERT INTO 'mydomain_gklg1'.'gl_group_assignments' (
`ug_main_grp_id` ,
`ug_uid` ,
`ug_grp_id`
)
VALUES (
'17',NULL,'1'
);

At this point, I could now see the Syndication Admin group on the Groups list, and all now seemed well.

It would be useful, however, to know all of the things that the update script is supposed to do with respect to the database, I have two nagging fears:

1) That my 'hack' is not a correct fix.
2) That there are other modifications to the database that have not occured properly.

Thanks!
 Quote

Status: offline

1000ideen

Forum User
Full Member
Registered: 04/08/03
Posts: 1298
Could you please look at the site`s output source code if "syndication.php" is being called? It should be in the admins only section. If yes, check your language file, was it updated too?
 Quote

Status: offline

mst3kroqs

Forum User
Regular Poster
Registered: 18/10/05
Posts: 78
Location:Cary, NC USA
Hi -

Yes, the language files were updated (I'm assuming I would have much 'larger' issues if they hadn't been, and all seems well with the exception of the SQL schema/db update.

Again, it appears to be a problem only with the Fantastico-driven upgrade, although I haven't confirmed this by installing a fresh 1.4.0 and upgrading it yet ...
 Quote

Status: offline

jmucchiello

Forum User
Full Member
Registered: 29/08/05
Posts: 985
Quote by: mst3kroqs

Again, it appears to be a problem only with the Fantastico-driven upgrade, although I haven't confirmed this by installing a fresh 1.4.0 and upgrading it yet ...


The developers of Geeklog have no control over or input in the Fantastico installation. You would have to talk to them if you find a bug in their installation software.
 Quote

Status: offline

mst3kroqs

Forum User
Regular Poster
Registered: 18/10/05
Posts: 78
Location:Cary, NC USA
Hi -

Yes, I would agree, which is why I would reiterate my request (to the developers) to know what should have happened during installation other than simply copying the upgrade distribution over my existing installation tree.

I suspect there are some SQL updates that are not occuring here, and if I can figure out what didn't happen as per the upgrade scripts, then I may be able to offer them constructive/specific suggestions.

Thanks, and best regards.
 Quote

Status: offline

jmucchiello

Forum User
Full Member
Registered: 29/08/05
Posts: 985
Usually after copying all the files over your existing install, you need to go the public_html/admin/install/install.php URL and select the upgrade option. After that, the system is "properly" upgraded.
 Quote

All times are EST. The time is now 03:00 am.

  • Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content