Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 06:12 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Calendar Enhancement - Input Needed - Recurring Events

Page navigation

Tex

Forum User
Junior
I have developed rough proposals for three bounties:

1. Event Subscriptions (RSVP and Reminders)
2. Event Category Groups
3. Recurring Events

I am posting the proposals in separate posts here for your comment. If you see anything that should be added, changed, or deleted, please let me know. Once we get the proposal set, I will set up the bounty.

Proposal to enhance Calendar Plugin - Part 3

Recurring Events

Bounty Amount = ($ please help specify)

On the Add Event screen (user or Admin), users should be able to specify whether an event is recurring. There should be a “Recurring” pulldown with the following options: “Not Recurring”, “Annually”, “Monthly”, “Weekly”, “Daily”, “Business Days”, “Weekends”, “Selected Days”, “Date Span”, “Advanced”.

Not Recurring – Event is displayed as usual, for the date and time specified.

-------------

Annually – If the this option is selected, the recurring section should change to permit the following options:

Repeat every ___ year(s).

-------------

Monthly-- If the this option is selected, the recurring section should change to permit the following options:

Repeat every ___ month(s).

-------------

Weekly -- If the this option is selected, the recurring screen should change to permit the following options:

Repeat every ___ week(s).

-------------

Daily -- If the this option is selected, the recurring screen should change to permit the following options:

Repeat every ___ day(s).

-------------

Business Days – If this option is selected, the recurring screen should show that the event will recur on all business days (Monday thru Friday).

-------------

Weekends – If this option is selected, the recurring screen should show that the event will recur on all Weekend days (Saturday and Sunday).

-------------

Selected Days – If this option is selected the recurring screen should change to permit the following:

Set the days on which your event will occur...
[] Sunday
[] Monday
[] Tuesday
[] Wednesday
[] Thursday
[] Friday
[] Saturday
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date Span – This option simply works as the calendar now works. Events are specified to occur between start and end dates (and/or start and end times).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advanced – This will cause the recurring section to change to something like the following:

Choose when you want your event to occur...
[] 1st
[] 2nd
[] 3rd
[] 4th
[] 5th

[] Sunday
[] Monday
[] Tuesday
[] Wednesday
[] Thursday
[] Friday
[] Saturday

[] January
[] February
[] March
[] April
[] May
[] June
[] July
[] August
[] September
[] October
[] November
[] December

Check/Clear All Months

Do the above every ___ year(s)

-----------------------------------------------

All recurring events should have a start and end date associated with them, unless an event is checked as recurring indefinitely. We need a “Recurring indefinitely” checkbox.

All recurring events should have the ability to specify several exclusion dates.

If an event is checked as an “All Day” event, event times need not be entered. Else, start and end times must be entered, unless the event is flagged to infinitely recur. In that case, end times should not be specified.

jmucchiello

Forum User
I would amend advanced to say there can be multiple advanced options. For example I could want an event that is every 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month. Or the first Sunday and 3rd Wednesday of the month. Or how about M, W, F this week, T and TH next week and so on for the next 3 months.

I also think that recurring indefinitely is a tall order since the easiest way to do recurring event is to create a database record for each "instance" of the event.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: jmucchiello

I also think that recurring indefinitely is a tall order since the easiest way to do recurring event is to create a database record for each "instance" of the event.

That would be the easy way out. It would also cause a real pain when you want to change such a repeated event (say you made a typo in the event description).

The proper way to implement recurring events is to implement them as a separate type. Of course, then you have to deal with exceptions (it's always on the second Tuesday of a month, unless in July, where it's on the third Wednesday).

Implementing recurring events properly isn't easy. Been there, done that (for a commercial application, years ago). Which is why I don't really want to do it again ...

Sorry, didn't want to discourage anyone. Just my :twocents:

bye, Dirk

Tex

Forum User
Junior
cheerful
If you want an event every 2nd and 4th Sat of the month, you simply click the “2nd” and the “4th” option and also click “Saturday”. Then you click which months you would like the event generated (If you want all months, just click the “check all months” option). If you want all of this done every two years, put in “2” in the “Do the above every ___ year(s)” field.

I am not sure how on one screen you might setup an event for M,W,F one week, and T, TH the next for 3 months in the best way. Any ideas?

As for infinite repeat, we can nix it. The date range can suffice.

Confused: Confused: Also, could anyone speculate about what would be a good bounty to put on this? I see this is going to be tough. So what sort of bounty would entice someone to do this?

Confused: Might it be better to find another Open Source calendar that does this correctly that we could integrate as a plugin? Anyone know of such a calendar?

jmucchiello

Forum User
Quote by: Dirk

That would be the easy way out. It would also cause a real pain when you want to change such a repeated event (say you made a typo in the event description).

Dirk, you use two tables to do what I'm talking about. Table 1 is all of the event information. Table 2 is just an eid, a timestamp for start of the instance, and a field saying notifications have gone out. When you prepare the calendar you use the join the tables and only use the table 2 timestamp to determine if the event is on the displayed calendar. Table 1 contains all the details.

When you create any event, you do all the inserts into table 2 up front. That's why you need an end date for recurrences. And if you change the master event, you just delete all the table 2 entries (that have not already occurred) and insert new ones with the new date requirements.

In the editor, if you want to change just one instance of an event, you duplicate the event and attach the instance to new event.

The date handling stuff is annoying but there's nothing difficult about implementing. As I said in the original thread, I would do this for the right price.

jmucchiello

Forum User
I am not sure how on one screen you might setup an event for M,W,F one week, and T, TH the next for 3 months in the best way. Any ideas?
Actually, I meant it runs on a two week cycle. MWF weeks 1,3,5, etc and T/TH weeks 2,4,6,etc over the course of 3 months.

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
Isn't this where an event group would come in? You could create multiple events for the group to cover this instead of having a complex user interface that most normal users may have a problem understanding.

I also think recurring events indefinitely is needed for holidays, bithdays, etc... Why not have an end date for the calender of 5 years or something (has to be a set date). If the admin wants to advance the end date then a script would be run that would insert more recurring events. I can't see many sites needing a calendar that looks beyond a couple of years at the most.

I would amend advanced to say there can be multiple advanced options. For example I could want an event that is every 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month. Or the first Sunday and 3rd Wednesday of the month. Or how about M, W, F this week, T and TH next week and so on for the next 3 months.

One of the Geeklog Core Developers.

Tex

Forum User
Junior
Basically, I am talking about modifying the interface in the geeklog Add Event Screen, to behave similarly to Total Calendar's interface (login as admin/admin to see it).

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
I like the add event interface. I wonder how Total Calendar deals with Recurring events? After checking the Calendar Admin screen I notice that they have a start and end date for the calendar. I bet they only create recurring events between these two points (like I suggested in my previous post).

Tex

Forum User
Junior
If you click "Repeat Indefinitely", the end date disappears and you can enter only a start date. I would just use Total Calendar. But it seems support is poor and there are several bugs with the Geeklog implementation.

Anyone wish to take a stab at a good bounty for this?

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
Not at the moment, no time.

I may need something like this in the future, in which time if it hasn't been done I may tackle it.

Did you talk to Dirk? Maybe he can put some of the general bounty money towards it since these features have been requested for awhile.

Tex

Forum User
Junior
angelic
I'm sorry. I'm not asking anyone to put money on it. I am asking for help in determining what would be a good bounty amount to offer for it. I don't want to come in too low, because I'd like some capable person to step right up and do it. I don't want to come in too high because it will make raising the money that much harder. Plus, I really don't know what is reasonable.

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
Since bounties are so new it is hard to say. jmucchiello is a good choice, he has done several plugins and is very active in the geeklog community and he said he would do it at one point if the money was there.

In another message regarding this jmucchiello had wrote:

About the only reasonable forum for such a system is... the forums. Personally, I wouldn't accept the task for less than $400-500. But at $200 you might get a nibble.

Of course it all depends on how bad people want this upgrade and how much they are willing to donate.

Tex

Forum User
Junior
In that thread, jmucchiello listed several features. So I was assuming he meant he would do them all at $500+. I decided to split them into three different requests so that I could make raising the funds easier. I may be able to get a lot more people to jump aboard if each task is $200, as opposed to $500.

Maybe the members here are afraid of talking about money? Hello? This isn't a contract here. I am trying to get the ball rolling and would like a little help. If $200 is a good start, maybe tell me. if not, lets nail a good start and then figure out how to move on from there. Can I get a little loving kindness here? LOL

jmucchiello

Forum User
I probably would not do it except if I were doing all of the requests so yeah, that was my price for them all. I don't have any idea how I'd break it all done. (I'd also be adding support for "other" event types and moving event types into the database. Can't stand that they are in the config file.) But I don't have the time this month to do it. My wife just spent a week in the hospital my future free time is a bit disrupted.

Tex

Forum User
Junior
cheerful
Okay guys. I do not know how bounties work, but I am going to try to raise $600 for the three jobs (I guess I'll contact Dirk later). I am also going to try to get committments to pay an additional bonus of $100 to be paid directly to the person who takes the bounty and successfully executes the job (we will discuss the job here, and then those people who have agreed to pay bonus dollars will get instructions how to send the bonus money to the coder).

I need to gauge interest before I commit more time to getting this off the ground. Folks, we have a plan. We have a ballpark cost for finally getting the calendar where it should be, after all these years. We are talking subscriptions, event categories, and recurring events. We have at least one capable coder who is interested in coding this. Now, we need to see if we can get enough folks willing to drop a few bucks to make this happen.

To gauge interest, I will need you to state here what you will be willing to pay. Guys, I have already spent a lot of time trying to move this thing. It is just sitting there now ready for us to take it. If I can't get you to move with me, I have to drop it.

Post what you will contribute in the way I do it below:

I will contribute $200 (Remaining Bounty $400).

samstone

Forum User
I don't know if this function is included. I need to have group calendar like that of TotalCalendar, that you can see all events as well as events filter by groups.

If this feature is part of the project, I will contribute $200.

Sam

Tex

Forum User
Junior
excited
I don't know if this function is included. I need to have group calendar like that of TotalCalendar, that you can see all events as well as events filter by groups.

If this feature is part of the project, I will contribute $200.

Yes. I will recombine the proposals into one. Groups are included. So now we need folks to committ money for the event subscription, a calendar where your users can subscribe to events and receive notifications.

I am contributing $200.
Samstone will contribute $200

We are $200 away from what seems to be a proper bounty.

jmucchiello

Forum User
Are you in love with the totalcal recurrence input screens or does any method of doing the input that yields the same set of options acceptable?

Tex, did your proposal include the groups stuff samstone is referring to?

Tex

Forum User
Junior
Are you in love with the totalcal recurrence input screens or does any method of doing the input that yields the same set of options acceptable?
Not in love with it at all. But I think however it is done, it should be clean, and easy on the user.

Tex, did your proposal include the groups stuff samstone is referring to?
I broke it into three parts. Here is the group/category part http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=76191

Here is the subscription part http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=76189

Page navigation

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:12 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content