Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 23 2024 @ 02:56 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Images not uploading in story

jlanda

Forum User
Junior
Hi all,

When I create a story (or edit) and try to add a file, it doesn't seem to upload. The image isn't in any directory, and I don't receive an error. I did turn on the option to receive image errors but nothing is added to my error log.

So basically, I create a story and browse for the file, then I insert [image1] where I want the picture to appear. I'm posting using html. Then I save the story and the story itself looks fine, but [image1] appears and no image.

Any idea why an image wouldn't upload? the directories are all 777, and I'm not sure why it's not generating an error.

Ook

Forum User
Chatty
So, you are saying that, under your Geeklog public directory, permissions are set to rwxrwxrwx (777) for the images directory and likewise for the articles directory under images. And the images path in your config.php is correct. And when you look in public_html/images/articles you do not see a file like 20070411xxxxxxxxx_1.xxx for the upload you just tried?
"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."--Steven Wright

jlanda

Forum User
Junior
Yes, all the permissions are set to 777 on the directories.

Edited to add: And nope, no files except index.html. however, I also did notice just now that even though I uncommented the "image upload error" line, for some reason it didn't transfer, so I'm going to do that now and see if I get an error! Plus I just found out the editor on my second computer is screwy so I'll have to recheck the paths in config.php on the other. Thanks!

jlanda

Forum User
Junior
Okay, double checked permissions and everything's correct. Checked the paths and everything's fine. Tried changing the path to see if that would work and that's when it finally generated an error. But if I use the defaults in config.php, no error is generated when I save the story, but nothing gets uploaded either.

Very odd...

I even tried using a different browser (I use firefox, so tried IE) and that didn't do it either. Wish there was at least an error. That would give me something to go on...

jlanda

Forum User
Junior
Well, I tried the same thing on a site that's hosted on a completely different server and it worked fine, so the problem seems to lie in the host server I'm guessing. I'll keep looking, but if anyone has any thoughts or ideas, please feel free to toss them my way!

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Just wanted to point out that the image upload does not work with previews. I.e. if you're writing a story, add the image tags and the image to be uploaded and then hit the preview button, the image will be lost. You will have to save the story (in draft mode, if necessary) for the image to actually be uploaded.

If that wasn't it, try the debug option in config.php:
Text Formatted Code
// Uncomment the following line if you experience problems with the image
// upload. Debug messages will be added to the error.log file.
// $_CONF['debug_image_upload'] = true;

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:56 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content