Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 25 2024 @ 09:21 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

droping geeklog site down a directory?

newguy

Anonymous
confused
I have a godaddy hosting account and they are the first place i had heard of geeklog, it was offered free with tha account so i had them set it up so i could try it out. Ive played with it quite a bit, installed the forum plugin, installed the media plugin and changed a few odds and ends and i really like geeklog. The only problem is they installed it so its set up as www.sitename.com/geeklog/public_html//index.php which is a pretty long url , then if someone copies a url from a static page or a forum the url is of course even longer. I was wondering is thier an easy way to drop everything a couple directories? For example instead of www.sitename.com/geeklog/public_html//index.php it would be www.sitename.com/index.php . Right now i have the site set up so everytime you go to sitename.com you end up at www.sitename.com/geeklog/public_html//index.php but it would be som much cleaner to drop everything a directory or two.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I don't know about GoDaddy, but many hosting services allow you to point your URL directly to a specific directory. So you wouldn't need the redirect you set up. If you can do that, you'll only have to adjust $_CONF['site_url'] in your config.php

bye, Dirk

geiss

Forum User
I have a few GL sites hosted on GoDaddy as well. I recommend installing a fresh GL, because the way they setup the database via their automatic script, you do not have much access to edit it through the GoDaddy control panel which uses PHP myAdmin (at least the last time I tried their auto installs, YMMV.) I would recommend setting up your own database in the GoDaddy control panel, upload your /public_html/ directory structure directly to your webhost root (www.example.com), and setup the geeklog directory as a sub-directory off of your site root (it would be a good idea to change the default "geeklog" folder name to something else, just for additional safety ie. "gl" "glog" "g-log" etc.) Make sure to edit your config.php with all the appropriate paths and database logins, and away you go!

:shakehands:
Synergy - Stability - Style --- Visit us at glfusion.org

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:21 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content