Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 18 2024 @ 05:44 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Plugin to export Calendar data to iCal format?

shmooth

Forum User
I could use a little help articulating the correct language for this feature request/bounty.

I work with a non-profit near my home in sunny Palo Alto, CA ,that uses Geeklog (not sure what version). I wanted to help promote our events, so I started manually adding their calendar events to a Google Calendar. Of course, this quickly got tiresome, and now i'm behind.

So, I looked into Google Calendar's import system - they accept iCal and .csv (Yahoo, Outlook) formats.

So, I want an easy way to export our Geeklog calendar data into iCal format. This _seems_ like it could make sense as being part of the 'Content Syndication' feature set, but it seems not quite the same, as this would be a, say, once-a-month export-to-iCal-format-and-import-to-Google-Calendar thing, as opposed to an ongoing RSS feed that your your feed reader tracks (maybe Google Calendar will eventually provide the ability to read iCal RSS feeds, if there is such a thing).

So, finally, what I think I'm looking for, simply, is an easy way to export calendar data from Geeklog to an iCal format - perhaps for some specified date/time range.

Does this sound accurate?

If I can get an accurate question/request together, then I'd probably try to sponsor a bounty for this feature. It seems super-cool, I could really use it, and I think others would find it useful.

Also, I'm curious if anyone has experience with iCal PHP libraries - the wiki page links to 3 different libraries - not sure if I would need to recommend one. Perhaps the Geeklog developers would have a preference?

If this bounty thing works out - i think it would be great. I don't recall seeing this type of feature for other open-source projects, but I think it's great.

As for bounties, if it tends to work out, it'd be great to be able to put together a pledge system of sorts, where folks like me could pledge to chip in $5 or so towards the development of whatever feature/plugin/hack, and if we hit our target fundraising goal, say $500, then whatever feature we requested would get done, and it'd be relatively painless because lots of folks could chip in just a little bit of money. There are already systems out there that do this kind of thing - though, i haven't personally used any. I know myself and other folks, for instance, would pay to get all sorts of features done for phpBB, but each of us individually can't really afford to pay for an entire feature, and endure the risk of it not working. The powerful thing with these Bounties, as i see it, is that it is the Geeklog developers that sign-off on the development, and this makes perfect sense, since they're in the best position to do so. I would even suggest that Geeklog devs get some percentage of the bounty for their time - 5 to 10%, maybe, but that could all be worked out.

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:44 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content