Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 10:03 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Geeklog 1.4.1, Professional Theme, Right-aligned Images bleed into next story

Beandip

Anonymous
I'm looking for someone to confirm for me what I am seeing on my own geeklog web site. I hadn't noticed until I was browsing previous stories submitted in the past when I found several stories in which the images included in the story overlapped down into the next story. I'm using the professional theme that ships with Geeklog 1.4.1.

Here's how to reproduce it.

1) Create a new story. Attach an image to the story. Make sure the image is at least 150 to 200 px tall, to simplify things.
2) use the tag [imageX_right] at the beginning of the story.
3) include a few additional lines of text.
4) Post the story.

Check it to see how it displays. The Image should be right aligned. The professional theme uses a few pixel wide divider to separate the stories.. that divider below your story should hit the side of your image instead of being below the image.

My guess is that if you had enough "content" in your story you'd never notice this... but if you post a short story with a large image this shows up pretty seriously.

So my question is this... is there some simple CSS code that would fix this issue? or is this simply a side effect of using DIVs now instead of tables?

Thanks for any input.

buckwildbill

Forum User
Chatty
I noticed this also and started using tables to separate things in stories. This works fine for me but I haven't looked into it any further to see if there are any other solutions.

beewee

Forum User
That should be quite easy to fix. Put this in storytext.thtml etc right before the story-footer div:
Text Formatted Code
<div class="clear"></div>
and put this in the stylesheet:
Text Formatted Code
.clear {
clear:both;
width:100%;
}

Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
It's actually a side effect of the changes in the Professional theme, trying to get away from a table-based design.

The code beewee posted should help, although I have to admit it's not exactly a very elegant solution.

bye, Dirk

beewee

Forum User
Quote by: Dirk

The code beewee posted should help, although I have to admit it's not exactly a very elegant solution.

I'm aware of that, but more elegant options I could think of didn't help (and I'm making my own themes anyway).

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
beewee, I wasn't criticizing your solution. It was more of a self-criticism - I would have preferred something that didn't require any user interaction. We may have overdone it a bit with the div-based layout there ...

bye, Dirk

beewee

Forum User
No, you're not overdoing the div's (very much), and table aren't foolproof either (colspan etc is also tricky). Next step should be to reduce the amount of div's by converting
Text Formatted Code
<div class="classname"></div>
to something you already use like
Text Formatted Code
<p class="classname"></p>
etc, so that you do not use div's to make a part of the layout which could be done with another existing HTML element.

EDIT: which makes my above suggested solution completely foolish and overdone...

Beandip

Anonymous
Dirk and Beewee, thank you so much for your input. I did apply the Div / Clear combo and that did in fact fix it...

I'm not sure I know why yet.. but I'm reading up on it.

Thanks again.

Scott

Freya

Forum User
I haven't noticed that until I've read your posts.It's true.Good job Dirk and bewee :wink: _____ Marine Engineers Beneficial Association

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:03 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content