Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 16 2024 @ 05:18 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Desperately Need mod_rewrite hack for GL 1.4.1

Page navigation

winnerdk

Forum User
Being #1 on a Google search for panama + guide is easy. I want to be #1 on a search for "panama." Right now there are about 171 million pages indexed and getting into the rare air of the first page (top ten listings) is tough to do.

Right now on the top six search engines (All The Web, Altavista, Ask, Google, Live, and Yahoo) I have a total of 146 keywords listings that place, 93 on page one, 27 on page two, and 26 on page three. I use IBP to track keyword performance on the major search engines.

With many thanks to Chris (gamble at ukconnection dot com) I now have a working url_rewrite mod hack that does what I was trying to get done, thusly;

.htaccess in your root directory:
----------------------------------------------
RewriteBase /
RewriteEngine on
Options +FollowSymlinks

RewriteRule ^topicname1/$ /index.php?topic=topicname1 [NC,L]
RewriteRule ^topicname2/$ /index.php?topic=topicname2 [NC,L]
--------------------------------------------
create a new block called Panama Categories, that goes like :
-------------------------------------------
<li>
<a href="/">Site Name</a>
</li>
<li>
<a href="/topicname1/">topicname1</a>
</li>
<li>
<a href="/topicname2/">topicname2</a>
</li>
----------------------------------------------------
disable your existing topics block. Enable your new Panama Categories block, and in essence you have used the existing core code to create the same effect. The only difference is that you will have to add any new topics manually to your .htaccess and you panama categories block, which isnt a big deal.

Now, with that in place, the topics index as http://www.panama-guide.com/earthquakes/ for example. This hack creates a work-around to get rid of the dynamic url ? which Google hates.

Now here's the funny part - since having implemented this hack I've noticed that I'm doing much better in Google, but I'm falling back a bit on some of the other search engines. I think this will be temporary as they get around to reindexing my site, and in the meantime google is eating up the non-dynamic URL's and getting down into the database. And, that's what I was after in the first place.

Anyway, I'm continuing to scratch away at the glass ceiling of Googledom, and sooner or later I will have the rankin'est English language website about Panama on the entire net. Then, I'll retire. Thanks for all your help.

Don Winner
www.panama-guide.com

Blaine

Forum User
Looks good Don. Also if you want your topics and categories block to also be themed like glMenu CSS menu then you can use an existing glMenu provided function to create a new block like you have that lists all the topics defined for your site.
Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

beewee

Forum User
I noticed this on your site:
Click On Google Ads to Improve Panama Guide

Get rid of it, or do you really want to loose your Adsense account (and earnings)? The Adsense T.O.S. only allows you to put the word "advertisement" or "sponsored ads" above the ads. Encouring visitors to click on Adsense ads is completely insane and suicidal....

Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

winnerdk

Forum User
Ah, right. Thanks...

Don Winner
www.panama-guide.com

Sunny

Anonymous
This doesn't seem to be working on my Gl 1.4.1

I was trying with one singe topic 'OnlyGeek' and it doesn't seem to be working. Please help

I get an error

----------------

Not Found

The requested URL /OnlyGeek was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an
ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8g DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.SITENAME.com Port 80

-----------------

This is how my .htaccess looks

Text Formatted Code
Options +FollowSymlinks
RewriteEngine on
rewritecond %{http_host} ^SITENAME.com [nc]
rewriterule ^(.*)$ http://www.SITENAME.com/$1 [r=301,nc]
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^OnlyGeek/$ /index.php?topic=OnlyGeek [NC,L]

Sunny

Page navigation

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:18 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content