Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 09:25 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

public_html in the address?

ksgant

Anonymous
embarrassed
Ok, I'll admit I'm a total and complete newbie when it comes to setting up a webpage. I have a new site though and I've installed Geeklog as the blogging software.

When you insert the address of the blog though, for instance www.blog.com, it connects and loads up the blog, but the address changes to www.blog.com/public_html/ instead of just staying at www.blog.com

When I try to change the entry in config.php at the $_CONF['site_url'] it mucks up all the style of the page and it can't find the graphics...so it can't be that's what I need to change.

Any help?

ksgant

Anonymous
embarrassed
nevermind! Of course without thinking, I did a search AFTER I posted this question and it was answered already.

D'OH Rolling Eyes

ksgant

Anonymous
Ok, maybe I do need help.

When someone types in my web address such as "www.blog.com" it takes them right to "www.blog.com/public_html/" But that's not really the homepage either. The homepage, when you click on "home" takes you to "blog.com/public_html//index.php"

Why doesn't the it automatically go to just www.blog.com...the root directory where Geeklog is installed....and not all the extra directories? What I'm trying to do is just have the people that type in www.blog.com have it STAY at www.blog.com in the address bar yet get to the "home" page which at the moment is at "blog.com/public_html//index.php"

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Did you set up a redirect to public_html?

Please review the bit about public_html in the installation instructions. Or try the Alternative installation instructions.

bye, Dirk

ksgant

Anonymous
Thanks Dirk.

I set this up through the hosting on GoDaddy and it was an auto-install over there so I didn't actually do the install with the tarball. They are the ones that set it up with it going to public_html in the root directory. I read through the instructions and I belive they did it for security reasons as mentioned there...as I'm not sure I can password protect folders (it being a cheap server service LOL )

I'll check with their customer service of course, thanks for your time.

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:25 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content