Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 25 2024 @ 05:54 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

FCKEditor - Client not seeing textareas?

Don

Forum User
My client's problems with FCKEditor continue...

For a while, he couldn't see the toolbar, but that has been resolved.

Now, he is seeing the toolbar, but he's not getting textareas to enter his story. When he's in 'HTML Formatted' mode, he sees the textareas. When he switches to Advanced Editor, the textareas disappear.

He's upset, I'm upset. He's ready to trash the GL setup and start over with different software. Having looked at other software, I'd rather not do this.

Does anyone know why the textareas would not show up? Any clues would be appreciated.

He's viewing in the latest version of MSIE, his javascript is turned on.

Thanks as always,
Don

samstone

Forum User
What theme do you use? Professional? If not, have you tried with Professional theme and see if it works?

FCKeditor has it's own bugs. It helps to upgrade to the latest one at www.FCKeditor.com. The latest version is 2.4. To know what version you have click on the ? button on your FCKeditor tool bar.

Sam

Don

Forum User
I'm using the latest version of GL, Professional theme. Also upgraded to FCK version 2.4.

I upgraded to 2.4 to fix the problem with the toolbar not displaying. That's fixed, but now there's nowhere for him to add text. Frustrating.

Don

samstone

Forum User
FCKeditor should work right out of the box of GL1.4.1. The only time it didn't work was when I used an older theme, including older professional theme.

Sam

Don

Forum User
Quote by: samstone

FCKeditor should work right out of the box of GL1.4.1. The only time it didn't work was when I used an older theme, including older professional theme.

Sam

Well, I'm using a new,clean install and the latest version of the editor, and it's not working for me.

Hm. Now I'm noticing that the textareas are disappearing when Advanced Editor is chosen in Firefox as well.

Thanks for your suggestions, at any rate.

Don

nobese

Forum User
Chatty
I am using also 1.4.1 and I have same problem whan using fckeditor Advanced Editor

Anonymous

Anonymous
I had a similar problem to this (among many others!) as I was using TabularDynamics. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I found this evening it was to do with the FCKEditor not being called (replicating the problem in IE, when you call the page where you have this problem, in the bottom left hand side of your browser a Java error icon appears - click on it and you can see what the error is - in all cases for me, it was either the editor had not been called, or the base url was missing). Adding the following code into the appropriate templates solved the problem:

Text Formatted Code
<script type="text/javascript" src="{site_url}/fckeditor/fckeditor.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
    var geeklogEditorBaseUrl = '{site_url}';
</script>

I thought I had got all of them (included in the layout/templates folders) but then discovered the Static Pages templates are not in there, they are under /plugins/staticpages/templates - adding the above code into the header of editor_advanced.thtml solved the problem.

I would therefore suggest that the above code is missing from one of your advanced editor templates.

Anonymous

samstone

Forum User
These codes (even though you posted the generic ones instead of Blaine's customized ones for GL) are not missing in the out of the box GL 1.4.1 Professional theme.

Sam

nobese

Forum User
Chatty
I try again:

IE shows advanced editor tools but Firefox not!!!!

Don

Forum User
Quote by: Anonymous

I had a similar problem to this (among many others!) as I was using TabularDynamics. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I found this evening it was to do with the FCKEditor not being called (replicating the problem in IE, when you call the page where you have this problem, in the bottom left hand side of your browser a Java error icon appears - click on it and you can see what the error is - in all cases for me, it was either the editor had not been called, or the base url was missing). Adding the following code into the appropriate templates solved the problem:

Text Formatted Code
<script type="text/javascript" src="{site_url}/fckeditor/fckeditor.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
    var geeklogEditorBaseUrl = '{site_url}';
</script>

I thought I had got all of them (included in the layout/templates folders) but then discovered the Static Pages templates are not in there, they are under /plugins/staticpages/templates - adding the above code into the header of editor_advanced.thtml solved the problem.

I would therefore suggest that the above code is missing from one of your advanced editor templates.

Anonymous

Okay, tried that. No go.

I have a 1:00 conference call with the client on Wednesday. If I can't straighten this out before that phone call, I'll probably have to trash all my work and start over.

I simply do not understand how I can be doing everything that has been suggested, and the stupid textarea is not showing up.

What the hell am I missing?

- Don

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:54 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content