Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 23 2024 @ 04:13 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

HTML tags causing Internal server error

Southway

Forum User
grumpy
If I put HTML tags in any story or block, I am unable to save, preview, cancel or delete. Clicking any of those buttons in the editor causes an Internal server error. The only errors showing up in the server log is a 404 because it couldn't find a 500.shtml file.

This is on a new installation that went without a hitch.

Thanks.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Can't imagine how that should be possible. Are you saying that it doesn't happen when you try to save a story that does not contain HTML (but save it in HTML mode)?

bye, Dirk

Southway

Forum User
I couldn't imagine how either, but that's what it's doing. I was not able to delete the story that the install put in because it had tags in it. I ended up deleting the topic to get rid of it. At that time I didn't know that if I'd removed the tags, I then could have deleted it. It also does not matter if you have the story set to html or plain text. It doesn't have to be a valid tag, just has to look like one. In other words any text between < and > causes it. I got to thinking about this at work tonight and wondered if some file for the editor got knackered in the upload causing the editor to do something stupid? Perhaps if I re-upload the files it would fix it. I don't need to fix it tonight, so if you'd like to try it yourself, the site is http://www.tandylynn.com. You don't need to sign up to post a story or comment.

Southway

Forum User
grumpy
Update:

Well one thing I needed to do tonight was install Geeklog on another site, figuring the problem was just with the one particular installation. So I installed it at another site (same server) and have the exact same problem. Frown

So, I re-upacked all the files and uploaded all of them again: Still messed up Cry

I re-downloaded, unpacked, and uploaded: Still messed up Angry

I deleted the database, created a new one, and ran the install again: No good yet! :banghead:

I also have a Geeklog site that I had moved and upgraded (from 1.4.0) on Saturday. It has the same problem. As far as I know it did not have that problem when it was using 1.4.0, but it was also on a different server (same company but a different machine), and I'm not sure I tried to edit any HTML pages since I upgraded from 1.3.something. Most of that site was created with the 1.3.something.

FYI, I have all these sites now on a reseller account at BigBlueHost.com. The Geeklog 1.4.0 site was also at Bigblue.

What I'm going to do is install 1.4.0 (EDIT - Did not work with 1.4.0sr3) on one of the sites and see what happens there, and then contact Bigbluehosting. I've also got another site at Bigblue on yet another server machine that I can try also.

Edit #2 - Installed 1.4.1 on a different server at the same host and it seems to work OK, so I guess its a problem with the server.

Southway

Forum User
FYI in case someone else encounters this problem.

Reply from Big Blue Host support:

"We have an advanced security module
for your webserver, which was blocking
html tags. It's now disabled for your account."

So it's working now.

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:13 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content