Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 09:12 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Forum software: Migrate from YaBB?

filbert

Anonymous
I run a college sports site (http://www.sdsufans.com) with the main site being Geeklog and the forum software being YaBB (http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl), hosted by Pair.com.

(I acquired the forum from its previous owner, who also ran the http://www.bisonville.com forum on the same software, and at the time did not want to change anything--which is why I'm running both Geeklog and YaBB.)

That other board, Bisonville, had its YaBB BBS (temporarily) shut down by Pair because of server load. Obviously I'm concerned that this could happen to me as well, although my board has about half the users of the other site.

My board has nearly 800 users, with a maximum online user count of 79. I'm aware that YaBB is perl-based and is (probably) a cycle hog compared to a PHP BBS. I conclude that new BBS software is in my future. Big Grin

So, questions:
Is the Geeklog Forum software robust enough to deal with 100+ users on line, and 30+ posting more or less simultaneously? Or would PHPbb or another forum software be better suited to this application?

Has anyone migrated from YaBB (2.1) to the Geeklog Forum software? What landmines await for such a migration?

Thanks to any and all who read and respond.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: filbert

Has anyone migrated from YaBB (2.1) to the Geeklog Forum software? What landmines await for such a migration?

I migrated a forum based on YaBB 1 Gold to the Geeklog forum a couple of years ago. The scripts I used should still be in the download section somewhere (do a search for 'YaBB'Wink. They probably won't work out of the box, but may give you some ideas.

The main problem I had was that I was running a Geeklog site alongside the YaBB forum and so many people had two accounts (one on each site). I "solved" that by tacking a suffix on the duplicates and manually merged the accounts of the people who cared.

That won't be a problem of course if you start with a fresh Geeklog site.

bye, Dirk

filbert

Forum User
Thanks, Dirk, I'll take a look at your scripts.

Do you have any idea how big the largest Geeklog-driven forum is (in terms of active users)?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I don't have the numbers handy, but I think Tony's forum at Iowa Outdoors is one of our biggest. And I know he's been pushing Blaine to improve the performance on earlier versions of the forum.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:12 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content