Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 12:04 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Really basic question

Scott

Anonymous
angry
Right, I know this is going to make me sound like a complete idiot but I don't care anymore.

I've tried following all installation instructions for Geeklog, but my website uses Fantastico so it was installed for me.

I can access the geeklog main area, add stories and such to this bit, but for the life of my I don't know how to get it to appear on my website.

All databases and everything have been set up, but I'm trying to create something like http://www.gamefaction.com/ but whatever I do with the backend, nothing appears on my website.

Have I missed something really basic here?

Cheers for any help

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
What exactly do you see on your website?

Once you've saved a story, it should immediately show up on your frontpage, unless you checked the "draft" option or set the date and time to some point in the future.

bye, Dirk

scott

Anonymous
Thanks for the reply Dirk.

When I save the story it shows up on my Geeklog homepage no problem (www.themusicmagazine.co.uk/content) however I was under the impression that it would be able to be part of my actual site at www.themusicmagazine.co.uk. I was wondering if there was some HTML that I needed in order to get this working. As I say, I'm not particularly experienced in this area, I just wanted something like what is on the Gamefaction site where I can update without editting the site itself.

Let me know if I'm getting the wrong idea about what Geeklog does, I've been able to get something like this working on my site before I just can't remember what it was!

Thanks

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Looks like that auto install you used installed Geeklog in a subdirectory (content) instead of the main directory. You could try moving the files around or start over fresh and follow the manual installation instructions.

So, you got the right idea about Geeklog, it's only in the wrong place ...

bye, Dirk

scott

Anonymous
I followed all the manual instructions, did everything correctly apart from whenever I go to view a .php page (apart from install.php) it says "Unfortunately the page cannot be rendered" or words to that effect. As far as I am aware everything is fine, I've even tried different combinations or paths to see if I did make a mistake.

All databases and everything are set up fine, I really don't know where I'm going wrong!

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
For future reference, here's the new FAQ article on that message: Unfortunately, an error has occurred rendering this page. Please try again

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:04 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content