aussiewal

Forum User
Chatty
angry
Hi

Why is it that know body on here wants to help anyone?

How is anyone suppose to learn new things if know one wants to help anyone learn?

I have posted over 25 posts on here asking for advice or help, and not one has been replied to, why?

I have managed to fumble my way through a lot of things no thjanks to any replies to any of my posts but now at the stage where I have exausted all of my ways of fixing my current problem.

That being gettinga 404 error page after installing a hack on the phpbb forum bridge.

The PHPBB Forum has not replied to my problem either because It is not a phpbb problem, I think it is a geeklog problem.

As stated in previous posts, I have been thrown in at the deep end to get this website (CMS) up and running due to our current webmaster being very sick and in hospital in and out for the past 12 months.

I have been working on this problem for over 2 weeks now.

If this is a known problem, and can't be fixed please tell me so I can stop searching for answers

Will
World Peace by 2020

Dazzy

Forum User
Could be the fact that no-one knows the solution! I have always found this board extremely helpful. Its more likely a fauly with the Bridge, and not geeklog or phpbb, the bridge isn't supported by the core geeklog team, you would need to find the ones who write it.
Dazzy

jmucchiello

Forum User
As Dazzy says, we don't know the answer. Very few people use the phpBB bridge plugin and those who do are not the core developers. It seems most of the commonly helpful people here use Blaine's forum plugin rather than phpbb. Sorry. I know I would help if I could but I don't know anything about phpbb or the phpbb bridge plugin.

aussiewal

Forum User
Chatty
Thanks for your replies, now why didn't some one say that 2 weeks ago when I requested assistance?

To let someone go on for over 2 weks trying to find a solution is not a good thing in my view.

There are 1000's on unanswered posts on this forum, not from me but from obviously other frustrated users of geeklog.
You want people to use it but the support is not the best, from my experience the worst support on any forum that I have used.

Yes geeklog is user friendly, more so that Mambo Joomla etc.... but at least the have support on their forums, we chose Geeklog for it's user friendlyness but we are having second thoughts now.

The geeklog foruim is very basic and doesn't have the security we need for our forum where as phpbb has, we were with SMF and had no problems but had to change to phpbb to intergrate with geeklog. I spend 4 weeks working out how to migrate the data without any errors and to get phpbb to the way we need it for our security and now find that it doesn't work with Geeklog at all.

You have Plugins on here that no longer work, or are no longer supported, why have them still available for download?

That was 4 weeks wasted, now back to trying to get smf to work with Mambo.

Thanks for the experience with Geeklog.

Will
World Peace by 2020

samstone

Forum User
If I don't have an answer, how do I know other people also don't have the answer? That's why people passed on hoping that someone else who knows the answer would post it.

Sometimes, I would try to ask the question a different way to make it clear. Sometimes, I try to find the author to ask the question. Sometimes, I develop a relationship with a nice guy or gal and ask him or her to help. Sometimes, I just don't use that product. Sometimes, when I must use that product, I pay someone to solve the problem.

World peace can only be achieved through people's willingness to find a creative alternative.

Mr. Green

jmucchiello

Forum User
Quote by: aussiewal

The geeklog foruim is very basic and doesn't have the security we need for our forum where as phpbb has, we were with SMF and had no problems but had to change to phpbb to intergrate with geeklog. I spend 4 weeks working out how to migrate the data without any errors and to get phpbb to the way we need it for our security and now find that it doesn't work with Geeklog at all.

What security features is it missing? Security in the forum plugin works off the standard groups and unix-like permissions that geeklog uses. I know phpbb allows users to request/grant access to groups a bit easier than geeklog allows. Is that what you are referring to?

aussiewal

Forum User
Chatty
Quote by: samstone

If I don't have an answer, how do I know other people also don't have the answer? That's why people passed on hoping that someone else who knows the answer would post it.

Sometimes, I would try to ask the question a different way to make it clear. Sometimes, I try to find the author to ask the question. Sometimes, I develop a relationship with a nice guy or gal and ask him or her to help. Sometimes, I just don't use that product. Sometimes, when I must use that product, I pay someone to solve the problem.

World peace can only be achieved through people's willingness to find a creative alternative.

Mr. Green

Hi Again

I understand what your saying but....

Not one of my posts on this forum has had a reply, I have attempted to contact several people either by PM, or email but again no reply. At least on the phpbb forum, you get a reply saying sorry but I can't help because..... etc...

As stated in previous posts, I'm not a programmer, nor in the comuter industry, I'm in advertising, and have been thrown in the deep end to change our current website over to a CMS as our previous webmaster (by twin bro) has been in and out of hospital the past 12 months fighting cancer.

I'm not using that as a way for people to help me, as I want to learn but how am I suppose to learn if know one is willing to even offer some advice, but all I get is nothing, I am way beyond frustrated at this point because I can't find:

a) Someone to offer some advice
b) A solution to my problem

All I get is irate emails from our members :Why can't I do this.... Why doesn't this work... Why do I keep on getting 404 error pages.....
I post on our forum the current problems but they can't read them because the unread post flags ae not working. It is one huge mess, and problem that I am slowly working my way through and have got 90% of the problems fixed apart from the two biggies...

1) The Read, Unread post flags not working
2) The constant 404 error pages, I think this is related to not being logged on, as I have guests not being able to view profiles and the logon page is not displaying but the 404 error page.

Well, enough of my cheese and crackers moment, I have learnt that Geeklog may not be our solution,and will start looking for alternatives.

Will
World Peace by 2020

aussiewal

Forum User
Chatty
Quote by: jmucchiello

What security features is it missing? Security in the forum plugin works off the standard groups and unix-like permissions that geeklog uses. I know phpbb allows users to request/grant access to groups a bit easier than geeklog allows. Is that what you are referring to?

Hi

No, I'm talking about security for our members, because we run a youth forum we need to keep out the sicko's who pray on youth for sex etc..

We need the following features that this forum does not have.

a) The ability for guests not to view profiles
b) Guests not to be able to email of PM members until we know who they are are who they say they are
c) The ability to have Date Of Birth displayed on profiles
d) Only 16-35's can post
e) Guests can only see certain forums.

These are the basics but we have more requirements that this forum does not profide where phpbb and SMF do. It's a shame that SMF doesn't intergrate with Geeklog like Mambo does. But Mambo is way to complicated for me as Geeklog I can understand to a certain degree much more that Mambo.

I have got everything to work but the 404 error page is really frustrating me, I see it working on three other geeklog, and phpbb intergration sites but I can't get it to work, I have contacted the owners but only heard from one and he has tried to help but what he has suggested I have already done and has not fixed the problem

Thanks again

Will

World Peace by 2020

jmucchiello

Forum User
An easy hack in profile.php would do this.
b) Guests not to be able to email of PM members until we know who they are are who they say they are
$_CONF['emailuserloginrequired'] = 0;
Custom user profiles are not that hard to add
d) Only 16-35's can post
Create a group for this. There are many hacks for limiting who can contribute.
Blaine's forums plugin does support this. I use it on my own site.

aussiewal

Forum User
Chatty
Thanks but all those changes to the programming may be easy for you but not for me. plus...

Why should people have to hack the geeklog forum to get the basic features of smf or phpbb?

We have just put our members through hell changing from smf to phpbb, I don't want to put them through hell again.

I will continue to work on the problem by doing more research on posts on both here and phpbb, a pain stacking task but it has to be done.

Will

PS: Sorry if I sond stroppy but I am rather annoyed...

I hope you understand...
World Peace by 2020

samstone

Forum User

d) Only 16-35's can post

I think (a) and (d) does not need hacking. (a) is in a config.php setting. $_CONF['profileloginrequired'] = 1; is right above the emailuserloginrequired. (d) can be done using the "groups" feature.

The only thing that needs customizing is the date of birth. Which is explained in the custom registration thread.

Questions like these are often unanswered because it is part of the documentation and previously answered questions.

Sam

aussiewal

Forum User
Chatty

d) Only 16-35's can post

I think (a) and (d) does not need hacking. (a) is in a config.php setting. $_CONF['profileloginrequired'] = 1; is right above the emailuserloginrequired. (d) can be done using the "groups" feature.

The only thing that needs customizing is the date of birth. Which is explained in the custom registration thread.

Questions like these are often unanswered because it is part of the documentation.

Sam

Sam!

These things I have not attempted to change because I am not using the Geeklog Forum....

What I am saying is that everyone now seems to want me to change to the geeklog forum, my question was...

Why should I have to hack/change the structure of the geeklog forum when both SMF, and phpbb have these standard features has standard?

On Documentation....

All documentation is written in techie talk, not everyone understands that, remember, I'm not a programmer....

I did not post questions about the above so yes you are right, I did not get answers because I didn't ask for them.

As stated on several occasions, I will seek other alternatives to our needs other than having to hack scripts that I don't understand.

Will

PS: Here is a site working exactly how we want ours to work, http://highschoolforthehumanities.org/geeklog/

I see he had the same problem I had not getting any help from geeklog forum, the more research I do the more I find out about the "lack of support" on the geeklog forum, it's not just me...

World Peace by 2020

samstone

Forum User
These things I have not attempted to change because I am not using the Geeklog Forum....

You have some misconception here. These things does not have to do with Geeklog Forum. JMuchiello was talking about Geeklog's config.php. For example if you change the $_CONF['emailuserloginrequired'] to 1, then, a guest cannot send email or pm to the users THROUGH phpBB, not Geeklog Forum.

I read somewhere that the author of the phpBB Bridge is not going to release another version or support it in the future, so if you choose to use phpBB with Geeklog, you will be pretty much on your own. I use phpBB Bridge also. I am also making a decision whether to stay with it or switch to Geeklog Forum.

All documentation is written in techie talk, not everyone understands that, remember, I'm not a programmer....

You are right, Geeklog is for the geeks to some extend. I am not a programmer either. But I have been using Geeklog for over 4 years, so I have got a hang of it. Comparingly, I still find Geeklog to be much simpler to learn to hack.

Sam

aussiewal

Forum User
Chatty
stressed
Hi Sam

Thanks but we have just changed over to phpbb from SMF like only a few weeks ago, and that was hell for our members, we have over 1000 members so to no wchange agin to geeklog is not an option.

I will still try and get this to work as it is working on other sites with no problem, yet I still can'tget to talk to anyone of the forum owners to help me, th eonly one I can has had the same problem, and eventuallky fluked his way the the solution but didn't document it.

I will give it a few more days, if not I will start on Mambo as it intergrates with SMF which we were originaly on.

Geeklog is user frindly but the forum geeklog offers is not user friendly as you have to hack everything to get it to do what I want it to and that I'm 110% hopless at.

It has taken me 6 weeks to get where I am now which probably should have only taken a few hours.

Thanks again but I will struggle on.

Will

World Peace by 2020

aussiewal

Forum User
Chatty
grumpy

You have some misconception here. These things does not have to do with Geeklog Forum. JMuchiello was talking about Geeklog's config.php. For example if you change the $_CONF['emailuserloginrequired'] to 1, then, a guest cannot send email or pm to the users THROUGH phpBB, not Geeklog Forum.

I read somewhere that the author of the phpBB Bridge is not going to release another version or support it in the future, so if you choose to use phpBB with Geeklog, you will be pretty much on your own. I use phpBB Bridge also. I am also making a decision whether to stay with it or switch to Geeklog Forum.

You are right, Geeklog is for the geeks to some extend. I am not a programmer either. But I have been using Geeklog for over 4 years, so I have got a hang of it. Comparingly, I still find Geeklog to be much simpler to learn to hack.

Sam

Hi Sam

Sorry but that seting re unable to view prifiles through geeklog and phpbb doesn't work either, I still get the 404 error page.
I give up with Geeklog, and going to start to try and work out Mambo.

I am so close with getting this all to work using Geeklog but not close enough.

Will

World Peace by 2020

=MF=Hack

Forum User
Junior
Not to knock those of you who haven't had positive experiences in these forums but I have always received helpful and speedy replies to my posts.

aussiewal

Forum User
Chatty
Quote by: %3DMF%3DHack

Not to knock those of you who haven't had positive experiences in these forums but I have always received helpful and speedy replies to my posts.

sorry but....

I Have 32 posts un answered, if you do a search on any thing you will see 1000's of unanswered posts.

Doing searches on other sites over the past few days there are 100's of people who are not getting support from Geeklog Forum.

It's like everything is to hard.....

Apologies for the negativity towards Geeklog but I have not had the best experience with this forum and it's not getting better, as the advice I have had in this post has not helped.

Will

World Peace by 2020

Blaine

Forum User
aussiewal, it appears that both samstone and jumucchiello have tried to help you but you keep ranting. They have answered your questions and suggested that built-in geeklog settings will address a number of the private issues like access to the profile and contact form. You may not want to use the GL forum plugin and that's fine but it's GL integration does offer a number of private forum options.

I've been working on the new 2.6 release and have been asking for feedback and have received some excellent help in identifing issues. It's very hard to test all the various options and I don't run a site that needs privacy features like not allowing anonymous accessing to profile. I can see now that I need to add the test to see if the GL main site config setting $_CONF['profileloginrequired'] is set. Other wise, it would have been a simple hack - if asked and someone would have replied with some details.

I'm sorry to hear that your experience with GL has not been a good one but you have also taken on a fairly complex task migrating a large site to a new CMS and forum.

Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

aussiewal

Forum User
Chatty
Quote by: Blaine

aussiewal, it appears that both samstone and jumucchiello have tried to help you but you keep ranting. They have answered your questions and suggested that built-in geeklog settings will address a number of the private issues like access to the profile and contact form. You may not want to use the GL forum plugin and that's fine but it's GL integration does offer a number of private forum options.

I've been working on the new 2.6 release and have been asking for feedback and have received some excellent help in identifing issues. It's very hard to test all the various options and I don't run a site that needs privacy features like not allowing anonymous accessing to profile. I can see now that I need to add the test to see if the GL main site config setting $_CONF['profileloginrequired'] is set. Other wise, it would have been a simple hack - if asked and someone would have replied with some details.

I'm sorry to hear that your experience with GL has not been a good one but you have also taken on a fairly complex task migrating a large site to a new CMS and forum.

Hello Blaine

I know this has been a huge task, and yes I am frustrated because a simple reply to a post made 6 weeks ago woulfd have stopped all the rants about know one answering my questions, hence going down the geeklog/phpBB bridge path which now I see was a huge mistake.

I have it all working except for a few issues, as mentioned in the first post.
I have spent all day going through the settings and scripts and can not see what is wrong.

The 404 error message is telling me that the logon.php file is not found in the phpBB2 path but it is, so I have no idea what to look for now to fix the problem.

The Geeklog Forum as is now does not suite our needs as we as a non profit youth assocuation have a moral obligation to our youth members to keep them safe from the sicko's who pray on youth forums for their sex kicks. Hence the requirements and other features that our current members are use to, like gender tags, and country flags and youtube options within the forum, these types of things are what the youth expect.

Your Forum, no offence, does not offer these features.

Will
World Peace by 2020

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
grumpy

I Have 32 posts un answered, if you do a search on any thing you will see 1000's of unanswered posts.

Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time, but I'm actually taking offence in your accusations that people are not getting any help on this site.

Looking through your older posts, I see that pretty much all of them are about phpBB and the phpBBBridge. The only other posts I could find were about the Weather plugin and you did get helpful replies on that one.

It seems you were unfortunate to struggle with two extensions that don't seem to be supported any more. But to extend your bad experience with those to all of Geeklog is unfair, to put it mildly. Many people are putting a lot of their free time into this software, its extensions and these forums - and you just insulted all of them just because of your bad experience with one particular add-on.

Take a deep breath, think about what you posted in the last couple of hours and whether all those accusations were really justified. I guess I don't have to point out that I think they were not ...

bye, Dirk

Page navigation