Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, April 24 2024 @ 08:48 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

New forum version and edit right

::Ben

Forum User
I wanted to edit one of my post but it seems to be no allowed at this time...

Anyway, thank you for that new forum version (I like when there is new on Geeklog) and thank you to the complete team for all that good work.

PS : Images are allowed?

Caution with size and/or content.
I'm available to customise your themes or plugins for your Geeklog CMS

Forum User
Strange I can edit this one...

Blaine

Forum User
The forum has a setting for the allowable edit window for non-moderators. I have it presently set for 30 min. Some sites may want to set it to 0 to allow members to edit their posts anytime but frankly I think you normally see your typos after posting the first time. This prevents someone from editing or even removing all their content in the posts many months later and making future reading of the thread confusing.
Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

LWC

Forum User
That's really bad as these forums not just for help requests but also to post patches and hacks and maintain them when there's no better place to maintain them. I for one tend to go back even months later to a patch/hack of mine and update it (then I reply to it to make it "jump" and say "I updated this and that" ). It would really spell the end of patches/hacks in these forums or at least make them "one time only patches/hacks" as they won't be updatable. Rewriting the patch/hack as a new post would make those topics look monstrous and without order.

I think a better solution is to force a "this post was edited at X" signature like most forums do. This way if you "cheat", at least people are aware you did something.

Forum User
Ok, thank you Blaine for this precision concerning this new function.

That means when a problem is solved, we cannot indicate any more "fixed" in the title of the topic. Maybe one day could you implement a function which would add the mention (with a button for exemple).

Blaine

Forum User
Not at all - moderators can always edit the topic and if you want on your site to allow members to edit always then just set the default to 0 in the admin settings. This was a feature in 2.5 as well - only I did not have an option of setting it to 0.
Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

LWC

Forum User
I was talking about this site specifically and I doubt it would become standard procedure to bug the moderators here with endless requests to edit. Even if it becomes standard procedure, that would create endless queues and the forums here would be as far away from "live" as possible - I'd ask the moderator to edit my hack and 2 weeks later it would be updated while meanwhile I've already had 5 new fixes.

Here, I already found a typo in my previous post and now it'd stay that way for good (and so would this line...).

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:48 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content