Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 09:25 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Story Submission Spam

linkman

Forum User
i have gotten a ton of story submission spam. there are 1390 submissions waiting. i would say 99% are spam. when i click on the submissions link i get this error:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/mysite/system/classes/template.class.php on line 499

how can i delete these submissions?

Doh! - that was a mistake

jordydme

Forum User
I have been able to drop users and delete all sorts of things through PHPmyadmin. It's a tool on my webhost account Cpanel. It's within the Mysql section. You select the the Geekklog database formthe dropdown and the select "gl_stories" table, click browse and you will be able to see the individual storries. I believe you can check the boxes to the corresponding spam stories and delet. Be cautious abotu what you delete. If you are not confident then back up your database first in the Admin Control panel.

Good luck,
Jordy

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I wouldn't recommend removing articles from the gl_stories table manually. You may leave orphaned records behind in other tables (comments, trackbacks, images).

Removing records from the gl_storysubmission table is okay though, as they don't have any dependencies.

bye, Dirk

linkman

Forum User
thanks guys, that took care of it.

9c1.us

Forum User
determined
:helpme:
I am having the same type of problem.
/Is there anything I can change to prevent this from happening?

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/.../public_html/.../system/classes/template.class.php on line 499

I get a similar error when trying to work with Spam-X which does not seem to be catching many spam comments.

Sometimes I can go a few months with no issues and other times it is like this the next day. I guess the spammers don't follow a rigid schedule.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: 9c1.us

Is there anything I can change to prevent this from happening?

Do you use the SLV module (which comes with Geeklog 1.4.1, so I'm asking if you removed / disabled it)? I see that helping a lot with spam waves: It lets the first couple of posts through until a point is reached when it decides that it's seen a URL a bit too often and rejects all further posts from that wave.

Of course, you will also have to add a couple of the obvious spam terms to your personal blacklist. All those drug / pill names, for example, make good filter criterions.

The wiki has a rundown of the Spam-X features and some more tips: Dealing with spam.

And, as I said above, we need to do something about that timeout in the moderation queue ...

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:25 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content