Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 02:55 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

AdServer addition

viasoul

Forum User
Chatty
Guys as most of you know, the content sites we build with GL really do well with traffic. But in order to pay for hosting of such big sites we need to make a "little" money. Advertising is the obvious choice with a content site so I was thinking that adding in a adserver type deal would be very valuable to allot of us.

I have no idea how these things work and/or if its even remotely possible but I just thought I'd share that. I hope it can be done.

Thanks,
Bryan Spearman
http://southeastmx.com

ironmax

Anonymous
If you really want to add something like that your site. Then look for a program like phpadsnew, or something simular. You'll be able to have the advertising for your site and make changes seemlessly with little effort.

1000ideen

Forum User
Well, you can try the typical Google ads like I do: www.hallomarkus.de

viasoul

Forum User
Chatty
I run Google ads of course and it definitely helps but as my site grows I have quite a few people interested in running ads on it.

phpadsnew is of interest to me but from what I've read in the install manual it could cause problems with the cookies in GL.

Do either of you have any experience running phpadsnew? If so, did it cause any issues with the cookies?

samstone

Forum User
AFAIK, PHPAdNew doesn't have to run on the same domain of your website. So if you don't have another domain, you can simply run it under a subdomain so that they won't fight over the cookies.

Sam

Chrispcritters

Forum User
Chatty
Quote by viasoulBig Grino either of you have any experience running phpadsnew? If so, did it cause any issues with the cookies?

I've run it with varying degrees of usage and have not had reports of any problems.

viasoul

Forum User
Chatty
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. I do have another domain that I can utilize so I will try that method.

Thanks again.

P.S.
I still think a built in ad server would be sweet! Razz

samstone

Forum User
The Media Gallery is just one step behind to be usable as adserver. I have requested a feature that would allow us to specify a custom link for each individual picture, so that in a random photo block, user can click on that picture and be forwarded to the related advertiser's website.

If that feature is added, we will have a fully integrated adserver since MediaGallery is already tightly integrated with Geeklog. You might want to visit MediaGallery and cast your vote for this feature.

Sam

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:55 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content