Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, April 24 2024 @ 01:01 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Users have no rights to edit their own stories

elliebee

Forum User
I've got a problem right now with users having no rights to edit their own stories unless they have root rights (they can't see the Edit link unless they have Story Admin, but even with that, they can't actually edit the story).

Ideas?

Thank you!

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

elliebee

Forum User
Sorry, realized as I was waking up that I hadn't put in enough information. I'd tried giving this user every other right except Root rights (including Story Admin), and they still could not edit their own stories.

On every story on our site, owners have edit rights on their own stories. I didn't want to give most users rights to edit all stories (just their own), and putting someone in the Story Admin group sounded like it was giving away the farm, story-wise, so I was pretty reluctant to give it. (Thus when I saw the FAQ for Setting up a Story Admin, I didn't think it applied.)

Giving them Story Admin rights (in addition to the default of All Users and Logged-In Users) made it so that they could see the Edit link on their stories, but they then got the error:

Access Denied
You are trying to access a story that you don't have rights to. This attempt has been logged. You may view the article in read-only below. Please go back to the story administration screen when you are done.

The thing I'd not understood when I read the FAQ you pointed me to before I submitted my post was that the topic's Permissions needed to be set to allow Group Edit (which I thought would have let all the people in the group edit the topic, didn't realize it was just the stories in that topic).

Anyway, I can now make it so that they can edit their posts in whichever topic I want.

Thank you!

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:01 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content