Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 25 2024 @ 01:14 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Is there a News Gateway Plugin for GL?

Anonymous

Anonymous
I wonder if anyone knows the answer to this please. I have a site built on GL and also have a separate email mailing list using Mailman. I am wanting my members to be able to access the archive of messages when logged in to the members only area of the site (Mailman gives you the choice of private or public - I would prefer that my members can see the archive without having to log in to Mailman, as many will not know their passwords and therefore it is extra hassle, but also don't want to leave the mailing list visible to Joe Public).

I notice in Mailman there is the facility for Mail to News and News to Mail Gateways - does anyone know if there is a plugin for GL that could read/display these messages please?

Many thanks

Anonymous

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
The "Mail to News" functionality in Mailman refers to newsgroups (think Usenet). I don't think you can use that with Geeklog with any reasonable amount of effort ...

bye, Dirk

Anonymous

Anonymous
Thank you Dirk - as an alternative, is there a plug in that allows emails to be posted in and displayed (as that email address could then be copied in to messages).

Many thanks

Anonymous

Anon

Forum User
Junior
I have been looking into this and discovered that there is a phpBBMailtoForum script that achieves this if I can get it to play nicely with GL. It would mean using phpBB2 instead of the forum plug in and some tweaks - does anyone have any experience of this and know how easy it would be to install for a novice?

I see it would need phpBB integrated into Geeklog (using phpBB - phpbbbridge_1.10?

Then the Mail2Forum hack from www.mail2forum.com/forums/index.php

Am I missing anything? I tried to install the phpBB2 bridge 1.10 earlier but kept getting errors, so will have to try again.

Many thanks

Anon

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:14 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content