Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 18 2024 @ 06:17 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Oh no! Not the fopen-problem again!

Per Andersson

Anonymous
Dear all

I belive that I have been a good geeklog admin and RTF(ine)M, searched the forum, googled but I am still stuck. I have the (very common noobie) problem that the log-files (and so on) can't be opened and the usual answer is the permissions but in this case the permissions are (at least I think so) set in a correct way. I have tried both 775 and 777. Here is some of the output from check.php:

Testing your Geeklog installation ...

Testing logs directory /opt/geeklog/logs/ ...
Could not open error.log and access.log for writing.
Please check that you have set the logs directory and the files error.log and access.log in that directory to chmod 775.
Current permissions for logs: 777
Current permissions for error.log: 777
Current permissions for access.log: 777

The webuser (here named webgl) is the owner of the geeklog directory and can read and write the log-files from the command line. The rest of the installation is working fine and all the plugins seems to work OK. I have installed Geeklog on other sites without a hitch and the local config.php seems allright compared to the configs on the other sites and there is nothing wrong with the paths according to the log-files in /etc/httpd/logs.

Please, tell me that I have missed something simple Doh! - that was a mistake

Geeklog version: 1.4.0sr5-1
Mysql: 4.1.20
PHP: 4.3.9
Apache:2.0.52

TIA!

/Per Andersson

1000ideen

Forum User
Is it the first installation? Are you sure you checked the setting to 777? Depending on the FTP programme it can look irritating. Maybe check again, 777 is o.k.

Per Andersson

Anonymous
I have done several installations before (using other kinds of OS) without this problem. Check.php reports 777 and I have checked it myself as well. The apache user and php user (nobody) belongs to the group that owns the installation so even 775 should work. As the owner of the directory (and everything within) I can read and write the files from the command line without any problem. I really think that I have coverd all the basic stuff but I might of course have missed something. Do php need some special permissions internally, like in php.ini?

/Per Andersson

1000ideen

Forum User
I only have webspace and no server which makes things easier sometimes or more confined as you like to see it.

Maybe you try delete error.log and access.log ?

Benta

Forum User
Regular Poster
Quote by 1000ideen:

Maybe you try delete error.log and access.log ?

But first take a lok inside them.

1000ideen

Forum User
Yes, or save them with ftp. I also had had strange things going on with those files during installation one day. Geeklog could not build them, I deleted them and copied them back with ftp and then it was o.k.

Per Andersson

Anonymous
Update!

After spending too much time trying to solve the problem I had with the permissions I gave up and installed FC5 instead of CentOs 4.4. And woulden't you know, after doing the exact same thing under FC5 as I did under CentOS (I allways keep a log of what I am doing) it works!

There seems to something wrong/different with CentOS 4.4! I don't have the time to find out what it is exactly but if you have the same problem with CentOS 4.4 and solve it, please let me know.

/Per

1000ideen

Forum User
if you have the same problem with CentOS 4.4 and solve it, please let me know.

Just a hint: It would be best to get registered here and turn on the 'notify me on new postings' choice.

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:17 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content