Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Saturday, April 20 2024 @ 06:18 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Signature Troubles

Flagg

Anonymous
Just updated to the newest release. The existing users with a signature for their forum posts have retained their signatures. If you're a new user or an existing user and you add and/or modify your signature to contain any of the normally allowed HTML tags such as

, geeklog strips these tags.

Again, old users, the tags are fine. It's only after you go into Account Settings and modify your signature string does the signature get stripped.

/CF

Flagg

Anonymous
such as "p" (geeklog stripped it out ;p)

/CF

Flagg

Anonymous
I guess I should have added, yes, I have editted the config file to allow extra tags, I have since removed the tags I added and I have confirmed that the config file contains the original tags by comparing to an uneditted config file.

If you edit the account info/signature, or, if you hit "Submit" on a pre-existing account that has tags within the signature, geeklog strips the tags out of the signature. As long as you don't edit the account info or hit Submit, you're ok and your signature from previous remains....

/CF

colonel_flagg

Forum User
From looking around the usersettings.php file, it calls lib-common.php and lib-users.php. Looking into both, I see that lib-common.php strips the html out of the post(s). Would this be where the problem is? I have no clue how to fix it.. but it seems that is where the problem is... considering my config file is perfectly matched with an uneditted config file (concerning HTML tags that is)....

/CF

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Signatures were never supposed to contain HTML. They are plain-text only.

bye, Dirk

colonel_flagg

Forum User
However, they worked before, now they don't. So, the previous versions were broken, the new version fixed the issue. Now, if I try to explain this to my users, they're gonna point the finger and laugh. Nice.

I think it should be left up to the website owner whether the sigs may contain HTML or not.

With the spam, broken features, etc. I am almost ready to switch to pHpBB for my website.

I'll think about this for the rest of the day. Perhaps this evening, I'll throw up a copy of phpBB and see what I need to do to get it running and modified.

/CF

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by colonel_flagg: However, they worked before, now they don't. So, the previous versions were broken, the new version fixed the issue.

Can't speak for the forum plugin, but Geeklog has never allowed HTML in signatures.

Quote by colonel_flagg: With the spam, broken features, etc. I am almost ready to switch to pHpBB for my website.

You almost sound like you're holding us responsible for the spam you're getting. And which broken features are you talking about?

To each his own, of course, and if you find that Geeklog is not for you, then good luck (honestly) with something else.

You may want to resonsider your choice of phpBB, though. They have spam problems, too (everyone has them these days). And looking at our logfiles and seeing those stupid script kiddies attacking the geeklog.net forum with their phpBB exploits ...

bye, Dirk

colonel_flagg

Forum User
I've went through two previous updates of Geeklog and I've never had trouble with HTML in the signatures. We've always used HTML in the sigs. As for the forums, the signature line we adjust is in the Account Information for Geeklog. Previously, it did not strip html in the sigs, now it does. I have users, right now, with HTML in their sigs in Geeklog's account information.

No, I am not blaming anyone for the spam, however, there's got to be a better solution than what we have. Pointedly, why isn't it easy to grep a logfile and see what IP address signed up for account "X" or uid "Y"? I bet I get a bunch of reasons why it doesn't get logged properly, but the answer doesn't help. It *should* be logged, if not for anti-spam purposes, for simple security measures when dealing with the public. If you cannot easily match an account to the IP address used to sign up for the account, all kinds of nasty things can happen. Why doesn't the "last known IP address" get logged in a users account settings so an admin can check such things?

I blame myself more than anyone else. 1) for not being able to code something better myself and 2) for putting faith into something I didn't know that much about.

All packages have problems. I will find one that suits my needs and provides me with the information I need to get the job done and to keep my community happy. If it means I need to hire someone to hack geeklog to work better, then I might just do that. If postnuke, phpnuke and phpbb2 has better tools, I may go that route. Took me all of 5 minutes to install postnuke and phpbb2 this morning.

Anyway, thanks for providing geeklog. It's worked well up until this point. For more details on my problems with geeklog, perhaps I should dig up the old forum posts I've made here requesting help with the news plugin and other little quirks such as the trouble we've had with cookies, logins, email, slow to respond, password changes, etc. but I won't get into that. Again, I blame myself. I tried to use and support something for the community, by the community. It's just not working out for me.

Keep up the work. Eventually, you'll nail everything down.

/CF

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:18 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content