Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, April 24 2024 @ 05:04 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Archive Question

Darc

Anonymous
I am attempting to convert my site (standard html) to Geeklog- basically creating a new site with Geeklog.

I have several columnist that write for me and I would like them to be able to log in , update their columns (showing only one story per page) and be able to archive thier columns.

I cannot figure out how to archive the current column and replace it with a new one, while beaing able to add an "archive" link to their past columns.

How do I do this? How do I archive the current column, post a new column and be able to link the previous column?

I see the archive option yet it does not appear to work.

Any help?

And Dirk, no offense meant at all, but please do not respond with a link to directions, many times that does not answer the question at hand.

Real live help wanted.

Thanks Everyone.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by Darc: How do I do this? How do I archive the current column, post a new column and be able to link the previous column?

I see the archive option yet it does not appear to work.

Geeklog doesn't really have an "archive", like other CMS do. Stories are always there.

The archive option lets you move a story to a dedicated archive topic after a specified amount of time. There's only one archive topic, though, so all archived stories would end up in the same topic. And the only difference between an archived and a normal story is that the former won't show up on the front page (but only on the topic's page). Plus you can use separate template files for archived stories to make them appear different from normal ones.

Quote by Darc: And Dirk, no offense meant at all, but please do not respond with a link to directions, many times that does not answer the question at hand.

They usually do, or I wouldn't post those links. Sometimes it may require people to actually read the whole thing.

bye, Dirk

darc

Anonymous
Drik, I should have followed that when you leave a link, somtimes people are too dense to understand it- like me.

I am a considered expert when ti comes to HTML, but CMS- any of them..geek, joomla and what not make me feel incredibly inept.

1000ideen

Forum User
Usually it looks a bit more difficult at the beginning but I found it very rewarding to stick my nose deeply into Geeklog.

The archive is an old concept of chronological blogs which used to be online diaries. A CMS hardly needs an archive. It can even be a disadvantage to see how old stories / pages are.

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:04 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content