Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Saturday, April 20 2024 @ 07:49 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

LTR always fields and hardcoded words

LWC

Forum User
Just wanted to get your attention to my latest patches as I've noticed "Nobody" is the constant "Assigned To" person in the patches' section since 2005...

You know, I have many patches there and it's too bad they're just lying there as if patches is a graveyard for ideas. I could really help speed things up if you let me change things myself and submit them for your review. Isn't that the whole idea of open source code? We're talking not just about urgent fixes (mostly for RTL sites but also for security) but I've actually added new features to Geeklog which I think are exciting if I'm allowed not to be too humble...

Fixing the hardcoded "Story Stats".

Input fields that really should be hardcoded in LTR.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I don't remember seeing any security issues reported by you. If you have any, please send them to the proper address, which is geeklog-security(AT)lists.geeklog.net

The Story Stats patch is a duplicate of an earlier bugreport by yourself that was fixed in CVS three weeks ago.

I understand our support for RTL languages is far from ideal, but I need to understand the problem before I can do something about it and that takes time which, unfortunately, I don't have a lot of. I'll see what I can do.

And some of your other patches are a little ... obscure ...

bye, Dirk

LWC

Forum User
Well, in this case I meant e-mail security (my patch that made Geeklog stop exposing my real e-mail address to the world).

Wow, I totally forgot I reported that bug. Well, this time (even though it turned out it was too late), I decided to also report its solution (thus a patch and not bug report).

What don't you understand about RTL? As for the aforementioned patch specifically, some input fields should always be in English and therefore LTR (like names of files, which have their own type so it's easy to fix this, and things like IDs). As for the other RTL patches, they take nothing away from Geeklog and just add to it.

Speaking of which, my patches in general are born due to needs of my clients. But if I add new features to Geeklog, like a more advanced $_CONF['show_right_blocks'] and a way to allow to remove the "Preview" button when posting comments/stories, I don't see what is there to lose by letting everybody else enjoy them too (and note that whenever possible, I try to keep the original structure untouched for those who wish to ignore the feature. For example, if it's a 1/0 parameter, I just do an additional test of whether it's 2 and then use the new feature).

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
As for RTL, I wasn't aware of the issue with the time dropdowns, for example. I need to have a look at this (literally) before I can say anything about it.

And those last two patches you mentioned are exactly the ones I was referring to as being obscure above. In other words, I just don't see the need (or even the sense) for those.

bye, Dirk

LWC

Forum User
Just change your Geeklog to Hebrew and see how weird the time/date looks (just ignore the fact the months' names are displayed in Hebrew).

The patches you mentioned are also the ones I've mentioned which settings can stay as 0 and 1 for those who don't need those features. I don't see what is there to lose by including a third option for those who may want it and changing nothing for those who don't need it.

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:49 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content