Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 23 2024 @ 02:03 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Need help migrating

anathema

Anonymous
I'm trying to migrate from one server to another. I have already backed up all the files from the old installation, (which is an earlier version in need of an update). Problem is that I no longer have access to the old server that it was hosted on, so I cannot do the upgrade before migrating, All that I have is the backup files that need to be moved.

I've already install the latest version of Geeklog on my new domain. I now need to get my old stuff migrated over. I tried following the instructions that I found here on how to migrate, but it was not very detailed, I obviously did something wrong and it didn't work. So...

Can someone please help out with super easy to understand step by step instructions on how I can do this migration? I have access to phpmyadmin, however please understand I'm a totally new at this and am not well versed in Mysql and don't know much about how this works. I need dummy instructions please! I don't know if the fact that I am trying to migrate stuff from an older version into the new version is what is causing the problem, however, I don't know away around it as I can no longer get into the old set up in order to upgrade ahead of time (too late and the old host has already deleted my old account).

Thanks in advance!

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I don't see the problem, to be honest.

So you have a database backup from an older Geeklog version. Fine. Install the current version on the new server. Import your database backup into your new database. Adjust settings in config.php accordingly. Run the install script and choose "Upgrade database". Follow the instructions ...

bye, Dirk

anathema

Anonymous
Can you please tell me how to import? I'm obviously doing it wrong. I keep getting this error, which doesn't tell me much: "An SQL error has occurred. Please see error.log for details."

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Geeklog doesn't have an import option. If you have access to phpMyAdmin, you can use that. Or ask your hosting service for help.

bye, Dirk

anathema

Anonymous
I do have access to phpmyadmin. My question is what are the steps for doing the import using phpmyadmin. My host does not offer support for Geeklog, that's why I am asking for help here.

(sorry for the double post)

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by anathema: My question is what are the steps for doing the import using phpmyadmin.

Open up phpMyAdmin, see where it says "Import", click and follow the instructions - it's really not that hard ...

Quote by anathema: My host does not offer support for Geeklog

They don't have to. But they should be able to assist you in importing a database backup (no matter where it comes from). This is a generic operation that has nothing to do with Geeklog.

bye, Dirk

anathema

Anonymous
I realize that it's probably not that hard, but as I explained I keep getting an error, so whether it's hard or not, it's not working correctly!

The new installation works fine when I first set it up. I then go into phpmyadmin and find my database. The instructions here say to drop it, so I select everything and "Drop". Then the database is empty. I then click on top where it says "Import", locate my file and upload it. I now see my back there in place of the old stuff.

All the paths and locations are the same on this server as they were on the old one, so that paths don't need to change in the config.php. Now when I try to load Geeklog on the web, I just get the error: "An SQL error has occurred. Please see error.log for details."

Am I supposed to load in my old config.php file from the previous install, or am I supposed to update the new version of the config.php file with my old set up? Whatever I'm supposed to do here, simply clicking "Import" doesn't seem to be all there is to it.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
The database backup you're using is from an older Geeklog version, correct? So after you've imported that backup, you will have to run the install script in upgrade mode (so that the database is updated to the Geeklog version you're now running on). That will take care of those SQL errors.

bye, Dirk

anathema

Anonymous
Thanks... I'm not home now but will try this later and see what happens. Thanks again!

anathema

Anonymous
IT WORKS! Thanks soooooo much for your help!!!

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:03 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content