Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 16 2024 @ 06:34 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Too aggressive SPAM blocker?

Merlisk

Forum User
caffeinated
I seem to have the opposite problem of many here. I'm finding the SPAM protector on my site to be too aggressive. It seems to take the most innocous comments, label them as spam, and delete them for both anonymous and registered users.

Of course, I've upgraded my site so many times that one of my config.php options may be set to this.

Any insight on how to turn it down or off? My site is very low traffic and somewhat hidden (for now).

Thanks.

---------------

Edit: I think I may have found my problem. I grep'ed the SPAMX log and found my source IP. I then noted what rule blocked and I think my rule was too greedy (RegEx wise.) So, forget this post and take note to properly limit your Blacklist's rules. Smile
Merlisk

SirDuke

Anonymous
How about this... I found Spam-X to work great against these spambots once I: (1) included their IP in the IP Blacklist and (2) included the URL of the links they were spamming with into the Personal Blacklist, then Banning the members. But, today I noticed that it's now trying to post spam as "user 1". How is this possible when my user ID's start at UID 2?

At the moment it's not really a problem being that they are still unable to get any spam comments through. But, it just makes me nervous that they're able to log in as "user 1". Not being able to see the user info makes me wonder about their access rights. Does this pose any potential threats? Can someone help me

Thanks,
SirDuke

Merlisk

Anonymous
Quote by SirDuke: How about this... I found Spam-X to work great against these spambots once I: (1) included their IP in the IP Blacklist and (2) included the URL of the links they were spamming with into the Personal Blacklist, then Banning the members. But, today I noticed that it's now trying to post spam as "user 1". How is this possible when my user ID's start at UID 2?

At the moment it's not really a problem being that they are still unable to get any spam comments through. But, it just makes me nervous that they're able to log in as "user 1". Not being able to see the user info makes me wonder about their access rights. Does this pose any potential threats? Can someone help me

Thanks,
SirDuke

Isn't User #1 the Anonymous user?

SirDuke

Anonymous
Is it? If so, that's even more strange considering that you have to be logged-in as a user to post comments on my site.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Yes, user 1 is the anonymous user.

One possible source of confusion is that the Spam-X plugin calls everything a "comment", event if it was something else, e.g. a link submission or a trackback.

If you enable the email notification, you should be able to figure it out from the contents of the email, as it quotes the entire post plus the referrering URL.

bye, Dirk

SirDuke

Anonymous
Thanks for the info Dirk. As I suspected, they were trackbacks (the only notifications I wasn't getting).

That ban plugin is looking pretty good about now, though it seems outdated. Any known issues with GL v1.4.0sr5-1? Or, is there another one available?

Thanks again,
SirDuke

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by SirDuke: That ban plugin is looking pretty good about now, though it seems outdated. Any known issues with GL v1.4.0sr5-1? Or, is there another one available?

The Ban plugin is working just fine from what I hear (don't use it myself). Bad Behavior would be sort of an alternative.

Also see the wiki.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:34 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content