Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 18 2024 @ 11:56 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Lock out Default users

Trampoline

Anonymous
I would like to lock out default users from the things I choose, I.e. no storie submiting etc, so that I can have a wide team of approved contributors and keep all others on just the forums, maybe ligtening up and giving default users one place to post stories, any idea's.
Probably I do not understand the way this should be done !
Thanks...

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
See the various "loginrequired" options in config.php and use Geeklog's permission system (e.g. uncheck the "Anonymous R" checkbox to hide things from anonymous users).

You can't, however, prevent people from submitting things (stories, links, etc.). Geeklog's mantra is that if you can see a topic, you can also submit stories for that topic. You could, however, hide the submit / contribute links (see config.php and the template files) and simply delete anything that still shows up in your submission queues.

bye, Dirk

Trampoline

Anonymous
What about if the Contribute is commented out in the config.php and then a block is created with the PHP code for the contribute link ? what would the code look like ?
That should work...

trampoline

Forum User
Quote by Trampoline: What about if the Contribute is commented out in the config.php and then a block is created with the PHP code for the contribute link ? what would the code look like ?
That should work...

Unless a one line link could be engineered, I am sure the php block would work, or perhaps a static page that would perhaps be very good as you could have rules for posting etc....

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
You could use the 'custom' entry and have some code in lib-custom.php that checks if the current user is allowed to see the link (i.e. is in the desired group) or not. There's already some sample code in lib-custom.php (it does only check for logged-in users, though).

bye, Dirk

trampoline

Forum User
Hmm I have this answer to a previous question,
Have a look at CUSTOM_menuEntries in your lib-custom.php (and note that it is commented out ...). It shows you how to make a link show up only for logged-in users. You can do the same for members of an group, using SEC_inGroup('Group Name') instead of checking $_USER['uid'].

just not sure how to use it !

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:56 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content