Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 11:30 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Problem with story submission after migration.

cspires

Forum User
Junior
confused
Hello,

I recently migrated my Geeklog website to a new hosting service. I didn't want to replace all of the SQL tables at once (due to my inexperience, and several failures before), so I've been moving one feature over at a time.

I'm currently attemting to migrate my stories over to the new installation, and after importing the gl_stories & gl_topic tables over I am having a problem with story submission. All the stories and topic transfered over without a problem, but for some reason no I cannot:

A) Edit existing stories, or
Cool Create new stories

When I attempt to edit or create a story, after filling out all the fields and then clicking on the submit button, it simply leads you to a blank page. The URL reads "gl_intall/admin/story.php" but the page is blank and the story is not updated/created.

I understand there is a lack of info to go off of in the post, but has anyone had this problem after migrating or under normal situations? Did I not import a SQL table from my previous install which I should have? Anyone know if anymore information which I could provide to help troubleshoot? I'll be glad to provide any information necessary if pointed in the right direction.

I updated my database via phpmyadmin, if that is any help. Banging your head
www.themidnightorder.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by cspires: I didn't want to replace all of the SQL tables at once (due to my inexperience, and several failures before), so I've been moving one feature over at a time.

Bad idea. Several tables depend on other tables (i.e. they have to be kept in sync).

What's wrong with migrating the entire database at once? Did you see the FAQ entry?

bye, Dirk

cspires

Forum User
Junior
Hey Dirk,

Yes, I read the FAQ entry on migrating the site. The reason I'm avoiding migrating the whole database over at once is because when I do this I have a big problem. When I try to visit my GL site I get the error: "An SQL error has occurred. Please see error.log for details."

I visit my error log to see what is going on and I see:

Text Formatted Code
Fri Jul  7 18:52:07 2006 - 1146: Table 'MY DATABASE.gl_sessions' doesn't exist. SQL in question: DELETE FROM gl_sessions WHERE remote_ip = 'MY IP_ADDRESS' AND uid = 1

From there I go back and replace the gl_sessions table (and I've tried from both the new and old database) and now I get the same message when I try to visit my Geeklog site, and the error log now reads:

Text Formatted Code
Fri Jul  7 18:53:22 2006 - 1054: Unknown column 'status' in 'field list'. SQL in question: SELECT status FROM gl_users WHERE uid=2

Possibly a simple fix, but due to my inexperience with some of this stuff I'm stumped and now my site is down. Doh! - that was a mistake

Any thoughs? Thanks in advance!

-Chris
www.themidnightorder.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Sounds like your database backup wasn't imported completely. This often happens when your hosting service has restrictions for the max. execution time for scripts.

There's a tool called bigdump that promises to import large backups properly under such circumstances. Or you could ask your hosting service if they would do the import for you.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:30 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content