Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 10:20 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Migrate from XOOPS to Geeklog - is it possible?

MrB

Anonymous
I have a number of sites running on GL and only the one on XOOPS - I thought XOOPS would offer something different but after a few years of struggling on, I have decided that GL is much easier to operate and I am more familiar working with it. Can someone help me I therefore wondered if there is an easy(ish) way to migrate a site from XOOPS to a new Geeklog site please? I have only limited experience of the code behind either site but believe it will mean making a few changes in the XOOPS MySQL dump before dropping it back into the GL MYSQL tables.

I am happy enough copying/pasting content from static-page equivalent pages, but could really do with a way of transferring the users across (including their passwords etc) to prevent them having to register again.

Any help gratefully received.

Many thanks

MrB

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I'm not aware of any converters from XOOPS.

Porting the users could be tricky. The password, for example, is usually encrypted and unless XOOPS happens to use the same sort of "encryption" that Geeklog uses (it's actually only an md5 checksum of the password), it may even be impossible.

Of course, there's always the batch user import, but that only imports username, full name, and email address.

If you have a lot of stories to import, then I could offer you a half-finished generic import script. Email me if the prospect of having to try it several times doesn't scare you ...

bye, Dirk

MrB

Anonymous
Quote by Dirk:
Of course, there's always the batch user import, but that only imports username, full name, and email address.

Thank you Dirk - as a workaround, if I did the batch import, which I understand would then send out a message with a random password (is there a way to amend that message?), would their username then be recognised on the system as author of articles, etc if they then wished to edit their submission (assuming the username field was transferred across effectively - looks like manually from what you have said)?

Many thanks

MrB

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by MrB: is there a way to amend that message?

See http://wiki.geeklog.net/wiki/index.php/Welcome_Email

Quote by MrB: would their username then be recognised on the system as author of articles

Geeklog identifies users by their user id. So you have to make sure the 'uid' field in the gl_stories table matches the author's user id (i.e. the 'uid' field in the gl_users table).

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:20 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content