Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 18 2024 @ 11:09 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Can't Log In

mroyer

Anonymous

Hi,
I've just done a fresh install of geeklog-1.4.0sr3 at www.hpcors.com/geeklog/public_html/ .
The install appears to have gone well. I used the checker script to verify all my rwx file permissions. I needed to change them from 775 to 777, then the checker script tested ok.

Then I went to the new main welcome page and tried to log in as Admin using password 'password' and it sent me to the try to log in again page. I tried to create a new user - but I couldn't and again was sent to the try to log in again page.

I've searched and read all the FAQ info about "can't log in" and searched these forums. I note others have had a similar problem but their solutions have not worked for me.

The data base appears to be created and the md5 hash of the admin password is correct (Dirk posted the hash elsewhere).

any other ideas?

much thanks for any help,
-Mark R.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
When you get the "try logging in again" message that usually indicates a problem with the login credentials. So either you mistyped the username or password or they're wrong in the database or something happens to them when they're transmitted.

Try enabling the advanced logging in the session handling (system/lib-sessions.php):
Text Formatted Code
// Turn this on if you want to see various debug messages from this library
$_SESS_VERBOSE = true;

The logging messages will show up in logs/error.log. See if that provides any insights ...

bye, Dirk

Geekloger

Anonymous
Quote by mroyer:
Hi,
I've just done a fresh install of geeklog-1.4.0sr3 at www.hpcors.com/geeklog/public_html/ .
The install appears to have gone well. I used the checker script to verify all my rwx file permissions. I needed to change them from 775 to 777, then the checker script tested ok.

Then I went to the new main welcome page and tried to log in as Admin using password 'password' and it sent me to the try to log in again page. I tried to create a new user - but I couldn't and again was sent to the try to log in again page.

I've searched and read all the FAQ info about "can't log in" and searched these forums. I note others have had a similar problem but their solutions have not worked for me.

The data base appears to be created and the md5 hash of the admin password is correct (Dirk posted the hash elsewhere).

any other ideas?

much thanks for any help,
-Mark R.

I have the same problem!
In error.log:
06/05/06 16:56:25 - ***Inside SESS_sessionCheck***
06/05/06 16:56:25 - session cookie not found from lib-sessions.php
06/05/06 16:56:25 - ***Leaving SESS_sessionCheck***

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by Geekloger: 06/05/06 16:56:25 - session cookie not found from lib-sessions.php

Sounds like either your browser isn't accepting cookies or something, e.g. a firewall, is filtering them out.

bye, Dirk

schorsch

Forum User
Hallo,

exactly the same problem here: same version (1.4.0sr3) updated from 1.3.9 (with mysql db update from 4.0.x to 4.1.x), nothing of the other "I can't login" tricks helped. The "try again"-screen is always displaying again and again. Banging your head

I get the same error in errors.log.
Site is *********. Tried two browsers (Konqueror, Firefox) which are accepting cookies (geeklog.net works e.g.), but nothing is set in cookie management.
Im at the end of my guesses and can't get it to work...

Please, any idea might be helpful!

Geekloger

Anonymous
Quote by Dirk:
Quote by Geekloger: 06/05/06 16:56:25 - session cookie not found from lib-sessions.php

Sounds like either your browser isn't accepting cookies or something, e.g. a firewall, is filtering them out.

bye, Dirk

Hm.. I see all cookies in my Firefox browser:
Name: LastVisite
Content: 1149512185
Domain: .alex.spectr.lan
Path: /geeklog/html/

Geeklog is running on the same computer (WinXP Apache/2.0.54 (Win32) PHP/5.0.4) and i have no any firewall. In php.ini register_globals = On & register_long_arrays = On

Pls any ideas

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by Geekloger: Name: LastVisite
Content: 1149512185
Domain: .alex.spectr.lan
Path: /geeklog/html/

So is Geeklog installed in http://alex.spectr.lan/geeklog/html? The way you've set it up, the cookie would only be valid for that URL.

You don't actually need to change $_CONF['cookie_path'], unless it's causing conflicts with other software.

As an experiment, you could also try "localhost" or the server's IP address as the domain name (i.e. in $_CONF['site_url']).

bye, Dirk

Geekloger

Anonymous
It still didn't work.
I noticed when I have refreshed (F5) this page http://alex.spectr.lan/geeklog/html/users.php 3 times the following message appered:"
Speed Limit
You have exceeded the number of allowed login attempts. Please try again later."

schorsch

Forum User
You can circumvent this message by deleting the contents of table speedlimit or setting the
Text Formatted Code

$_CONF['speedlimit'] = 45;

in config.php to a lower value (i think).

But that's not solving the problem, just a symptom. Here is how I got this strange error solved for me:

My DB Backup was kind of messed up, the field lengths were somehow wrong (geeklog version 1.3.9 on mysql 4.0.x). Because of that, the db table couldn't hold the whole MD5 Hash for the password so that the comparison in system/lib-security.php (SEC_authenticate) was always wrong.
After changing the field length for the password hash to 32 (I did it in another way - created a new database and then just imported my old values like users, stories etc. without recreating the structure), I could solve the problem by demanding a new password - a correct md5 hash was written to database and the whole thing was running again like it should!! Big Celebration (that's worth the banana Smile)

There were still some minor oddities like wrong assignment of users as owners of objects (for links, topics etc.) - this was easily solved by updating the owner_id for each object in the corresponding db table.

Now the page is fine again. The problem was not related to creating cookies etc. - the problem was that the system did not accept the password. Putting some debugging outputs in system/lib-security.php (SEC_authenticate) can light a whole tree... Laughing

Hope this helps anyone.
Me myself, I'm happy again now.

Cheers,
Schorsch

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:09 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content